Pooping in nesting boxes????

Kesha

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Stafford, VA
We have 22 hens. They are 16 weeks old. We have 10 nesting boxes and we put hay in them so when they are ready to lay the boxes will be ready.

Well they sleep in them and use them as a litter box. They kick all of the hay out.

Will they stop this when they start laying?

I would cover the nest boxes for a week or so and at the same time relocate your hens to the roost each evening until they get the hint. You have to be consistent about moving them each and every evening.
Also, if your nest boxes are higher than your roosts it could be doubly hard to break them of the habit.
No, they won't stop using the boxes for toilets and beds once they start laying and the longer they have the habit, the harder it will be to break. You'll end up with lots of poopy eggs.

Last edited:
oh no! I am having the same problem! guess I need to make a higher roost and start putting them to bed again! I did this once already and actually encouraged them to sleep in the boxes!

Quote:
Yup, and even then, take them out at night if they try to sleep there, and put them on the roost, til they learn to sleep on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom