Pooping in starter crumble

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
Our chicks are on medicated starter and doing very well - they're a day old and are eating and drinking by themselves.

One problem - they are hopping into their feeder, placing their butts over the holes where the feed is stored and pooping in the holes. No...I'm not kidding.

Surely eating their own feces can't be good for them - but I also have to get to bed sometime before the next ice age.

Should I take their food out when I sleep and put it back when I'm awake and able to remove the poop from their food on a routine basis?

Why are they pooping in their food?? And it's almost like they're doing it on purpose. I mean...they're taking the time to hop on the feeder, turn around, poop in it..and hop back off. Do they think it's a litter box or something?

sickbyc.gif

Additionally, they are pecking each other in the eyeballs!! I'm scared chickless that I'm going to wake up with eyeballs in the bedding and chicks missing eyeballs.

Last edited:
Thank you. =) I did that and it's in there now. They're not pooping on it, but all 4 of them are fast asleep in the middle of their food dish - can we say gluttonous?

Thanks for the idea...wonder if I should give up on the elongated food dish with holes and buy a bunch of tea light candles.
hu.gif

I'm using one of those silo bird feeders for parakeets. They are still scratching some food out but not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom