Pooping old eggs after setting

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Last week I induced my hen to set by placing extra eggs in her nest along with hers. She sat on them immediately (thankfully!) and since doing so, has been pooping every day a large mass, which I assume is the eggs she no longer needs to lay. Does this always happen when a hen starts to set, or strictly a result of getting her to "prematurely" set?

Hens that are setting always have a large poop because they have to hold it so long. I would assume that's what you're seeing, unless you can actually see an egg in the mess.

Well actually it just looks like poop. It is just massive. You are probably right. I was just assuming because of the size. Thanks!

Broody hens will set for days without pooing, that's why its so large and smelly! I always keep my broodies in a large dog crate, where they can feel safe getting up off their eggs to eat, drink and poo without making a mess on their eggs.

Yes my hen has a whole three bird coup with 8 ft run all to herself. I locked her in so she would set, so now she has it all to herself! I suppose I could let some other birds in, but I figured i didnt want them to disturb her.

Back
Top Bottom