Poopy butt, no eggs.

FanciGal

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Hi everyone. I have a Maran with a slightly poopy butt and she hasn't been laying any eggs recently. I am not sure if the dormant egg laying has to do with the recent picking on by the buff orpington (I'll get back to that in a bit) or if it is because of the poopy butt. She has normal droppings, but they are in small amounts. She has been getting into some battles with the buff, she pecks at the buff's head when she gets too close during eating, course, I think the buff does it on purpose cause I see her walk deliberately close to her, puff up extra big while she walks past the maran, then returns back to normal with the rest of the gang. But the maran has bruises all over her legs from incessant pecking from the buff. I haven't seen her do it, but there are perfect round dark spots all up and down her legs. So if this is just a small phase of slight messy poop or some uncalled for pecking that has put laying on hold and a messy butt up for cleaning, that would put a lot of stress off my mind. Please help!!!

I don't know what is causing your Hen's poopy butt problem. Give her a bath and keep it as clean as possible. I have read some terrible threads here about maggots in and on chickens. My marans have slowed down laying. Since they look healthy, I am guessing it is because of the heat. Some bickering and pecking is normal but when I see bood, sores or bald spots I intervene. If you take the bully out for a couple of days, she will loose her spot in the pecking order. Most of the time it works well, occasionally the bully becomes the poor picked on hen.

Have you soaked her bottom at all and gotten a good look at her vent. Make sure all parts that belong inside the hen are still in. Look for discharge, lice & mite eggs, swelling, yeast infection etc. If you find any problems post a pic. Lots of experienced BYCers love to help.

P.S.

welcome-byc.gif

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom