Poopy butt

flgrl0821

Hatching
Apr 6, 2015
St Pete, FL
I am still pretty new to raising chickens so bear with me here : ) So we picked up a new hen yesterday from a rescue farm. She is a silver laced Wyandotte about 8 or 9 months old. I noticed a little yesterday that she had some poop on her butt. She came home with us in a box so it is possible that she sat in some poop not really sure. She is eating a drinking and acting normal. Not sure if there are any runny stools since the ground has been a little wet here and the roost sits over the run. Is it stress from relocating or is there something wrong? here is a picture of her little butt.

Nothing is wrong. All chickens get a poopy butt at some point or another in their lives. Although it was very observant of you to notice that.

OK. This is not going to be a popular opinion, but as having raised a clean flock for a long time...Don't take in rescue birds. The risk is too great to your entire flock. If you have an entirely separate space for rescues that is well-removed from your main flock, then rescue as many birds as you like, but practice impeccable biosecurity and never let the rescues mingle or even come near your main flock.

Onto the issue at hand. A little poop on the butt is fine. Look at that butt! That is a fluffy butt. There are bound to be a few clingy poos that latch on to those feathers. You are going to find that beautiful, fluffy, pristine butts are rare in birds that are not bathed regularly or just coming out of a molt. It just happens. It is generally nothing to worry about.

Thanks! Actually my other chicken that is in there with her is from the same farm. She hatches chickens there and will take back any that turn out to be roosters since we cant keep them here in St Pete. The other animals she has (pigs, goats etc...) are the primary rescues she takes in and re homes but, I totally get what you are saying. I have a soft spot for abandoned animals so I support anyone who tries to help them : ) Maybe I will give her a bath after she has adjusted....I just worry that I wont catch something quick enough.

Just an idea for thought....
Don't know how your coop is set up, but perhaps you could add a poop board under the roosts.
I have a piece of painted plywood, some people use the plastic boot trays from tractor supply.
Catches all droppings during the night while roosting, and that's usually quite a bit. I clean mine off every morning.
Good way to observe and catch some things early. Signs of dehydration, heat stress, not eating, worms or coccidiosis, etc.

Hi guys,
I'm too to this and cant work out how to start my own thread. My sussex had dried poo stuck on her bum this morning and i gently pulled it out for her but looked very red sore inside and worried she might have bled a little. What else can I do for her? I'm pretty worried about my baby
Thanks

Op you can trim her butt feathers some i had to to my fluffy butted girls as they either choose not to clean that spot or cant reach it and i dont like the ideal of fly strike.

Back
Top Bottom