Poopy butt

Kgaff

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
Hi there fellow chicken lovers!

I noticed last night two of my 7 month old hens have poop stuck to their behinds and I am not sure if I need to be concerned. New chicken mama here. Thank you for all your advice and wisdom on this forum!

Attachments

• AC347E11-74B9-4CB6-88C1-3E9056C30F56.jpeg
    AC347E11-74B9-4CB6-88C1-3E9056C30F56.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 22
This happens in some chickens. If you leave the poop there, the skin will get red and irritated. You can use an old rag and warm water to gently loosen the poop and clean her feathers.

That looks like quite a large amount of poop.
You need to get it off there asap.
It could block her vent, or if you live somewhere it's till warm fly strike is also a possibility.
Think it's going to take more than a damp rag.
If at all possible it would be best to cut the feathers off that the poop is stuck to.
Very carefully cut feather shaft about 1/2" away from skin.
I use a pair of nose hair scissors, dedicated to chickens of course,
very sharp short curved blades with blunt tips.
If you can't see skin, to avoid cutting it, you may have to soak her to get poop off.

That looks like quite a large amount of poop.
You need to get it off there asap.
It could block her vent, or if you live somewhere it's till warm fly strike is also a possibility.
Think it's going to take more than a damp rag.
If at all possible it would be best to cut the feathers off that the poop is stuck to.
Very carefully cut feather shaft about 1/2" away from skin.
I use a pair of nose hair scissors, dedicated to chickens of course,
very sharp short curved blades with blunt tips.
If you can't see skin, to avoid cutting it, you may have to soak her to get poop off.
It was a very large amount of poop and it had already pulled the feathers away from the skin. She has a bald patch now and I’m not sure what to do about it. Her skin was red and irritated.

It was a very large amount of poop and it had already pulled the feathers away from the skin. She has a bald patch now and I’m not sure what to do about it. Her skin was red and irritated.
Did you get all the poop off?
Skin should heal up soon....might apply some neosporin or vetricyn or coconut oil to sooth the skin.
Was it 'normal' poops stuck of was/is she having loose/soft/juicy poops?

Back
Top Bottom