1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Poopy chick butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stellas mommy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. stellas mommy

stellas mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    carver
    Yesterday and today Ive had to clean off my 3 day old chicks butt. Is there something Ive done wrong with it so it sticks on its butt or is it just something that happens. Should I do something differently so that it doesnt happen anymore? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Most often it is because it is too warm or the chicks aren't getting enough water.

Use a thermometer and make certain there is "humidity" in the brooder.

... and continue to clean their buts until they don't get build up anymore

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Actually it's because they are too cold, usually. Try raising the temp in the brooder, and definitely keep them clean!

4. sierras mom11

sierras mom11 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    missouri
    It is usually caused by temp, too hot-too cold, draft or got scared and piled up on one another. Need to check temp, they should be laying comfortable under light like a chick rug just touching each other. No panting or no huddling. Keep cleanning their bottoms but most inportant need to get them on a Sulfa medication from your feed store. Its for cattle swine and poultry, brand names are Sulmet, Sulfamethazine, Sulquin, Sulfanox etc.but if not treated you can get 3 or 4 weeks down the line and start losing birds or at the very least failure to thrive birds that are stunted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by