Poopy Cochin

biblechicks

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2016
Has anyone had a problem with a Cochin that can’t keep the fluffy feathers clean around her vent area? My beautiful Lydia is 8 months Old, she is laying faithfully, is sweet and gentle. However, her vent and all the soft feathers around it are always caked with poop, yuck!

I have 9 other chickens and feed them regular chicken feed and some table scrapes. Her droppings are not particularly loose, she just doesn’t seem to ‘project’.

A chicken needs to do a certain squat, lean back and poop to poop cleanly. Some don't. You could try giving her a light trim. Cochins do have fluffier butts than some other breeds. Limiting table scraps can help to firm up poops.

2x oldhenlikesdogs I have Orpingtons & they're fluff butts too :love In the past I'd do the trim but then sometimes I'd have to trim more than I liked. The last set, one was getting a very messy butt fluff, washed her under warm water & blew dry her. That worked nicely but wasn't about to do that several times a week. So I stopped all extras, all they got were their fermented Flock Raiser & 1/8 cup of BOSS, MW & dry crumbles at night (to scratch). I noticed her butt fluff still got a "streak" now and then but no more mess. I've stopped all table scrapes, veggies, fruits ... I also notice when I toss mowed grass in for them, their poop get softer but they don't get it often.

Back
Top Bottom