Poopy feathers under anus but not actually on

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
I'm thinking this ISNT pasty butt but wanting to make sure it's nothing to worry about. The last few days I've noticed one of my girls has had some dried poop on her feathers under her anus..as in some right under, mixed with dirt, and some that seems to have drizzled on down a couple of inches. I attempted a pic but it's been quite difficult. Is pasty butt pretty obvious?

Pasty butt is in very young chicks. How old are your girls?

Some chickens just don't seem to have a refined enough technique and get poop in their bum fluff. When I see that happen, I just trim off the ends of the feathers. If it's a lot of poop, I clean them off first and then trim the ends of the feathers.

I find it happens more often when the weather is hot because they drink more water and also sometimes get hydrating treats (like watermelon, etc). Makes their poop more watery and messier.

Mine are 18 weeks. I suspected maybe she was having runny poop and that may just be the issue. Although today I did see her pass a good solid one too. To clean her up...I assume just use water?

Mine are 18 weeks. I suspected maybe she was having runny poop and that may just be the issue. Although today I did see her pass a good solid one too. To clean her up...I assume just use water?
Yep! Just wet a rag/towel and get off what you can. The skin back there is fragile, so be gentle and try not to pull the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom