Poopy problems with my duck.

ShelbyD91

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
I’ve had the horrible nightmare happen. A main coon got in my back yard, ate my chickens and killed all but 1 duck for sport. This happened 2 nights ago. Jack, my 6 week old khaki duck that survived, is now back inside with me until we can find some friends for him. Other than shear anxiety and fear of being left alone, he’s okay. Since he has been inside his poops have been all different but need help on what exactly to do. Sometimes it looks completely healthy. It gets a little frothy when I feed him a lot of peas. (Which I over did it for the past couple days because he’s all alone and my heart broken for him.) I also gave him grit to go with it. Sometimes his poops are runny and dark brown but they are isolated incidents, if that makes sense. He refuses to go outside so he hasn’t eaten any dirt. This morning his poop had a tinge of dark red. Not sure if you can see it in the picture. He’s acting fine. He was even running around today after his breakfast like he used to before the tragedy. I’m just worried he’s going to die. Sorry for the long post. Any help on what’s might be going on is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 7E706478-2627-45BB-875E-8180E339EAD7.jpeg
    7E706478-2627-45BB-875E-8180E339EAD7.jpeg
    531.1 KB · Views: 9
I'm so sorry you lost your flock. Were they cooped and the coon got in the coop? Please never leave poultry out overnight with out protection.
Anyway I honestly can't see any blood in Jacks poop but if he hasn't any injuries it is probably not from the attack. Is he eating his reg feed besides peas?
You could try some poultry vitamins for support during this time. Depending on what ducks eat is usually what we see on the other end. It maybe his tummy is upset from the stress he went through and hopefully he'll be okay in a few days.

I'm so sorry you lost your flock. Were they cooped and the coon got in the coop? Please never leave poultry out overnight with out protection.
Anyway I honestly can't see any blood in Jacks poop but if he hasn't any injuries it is probably not from the attack. Is he eating his reg feed besides peas?
You could try some poultry vitamins for support during this time. Depending on what ducks eat is usually what we see on the other end. It maybe his tummy is upset from the stress he went through and hopefully he'll be okay in a few days.
Both the chickens and ducks were cooped up in separate coops. It looks like the cat just opened the door like it was nothing. My ducks were sprawled out all over the yard. Once I saw the ducks and started ugly crying my boyfriend kinda just nudged me and jack into the house and he cleaned everything up and I didn’t ask what exactly happened. I just told him this WILL NEVER happen again and we are going to see to it. Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was honestly hoping that’s what’s going on- the stress, better than the latter. He’s on purina chick starter, I add niacin into his food and I always have a separate bowl with grit and feed mix.

I am sure that was devastating to come out to. I've lost a few chickens to a hawk attack and that was bad enough.
I hope you can find Jack some friends soon and get that door fixed so it never does happen again.
May I ask how you know it was a Manecoon cat?

Both the chickens and ducks were cooped up in separate coops. It looks like the cat just opened the door like it was nothing. My ducks were sprawled out all over the yard. Once I saw the ducks and started ugly crying my boyfriend kinda just nudged me and jack into the house and he cleaned everything up and I didn’t ask what exactly happened. I just told him this WILL NEVER happen again and we are going to see to it. Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was honestly hoping that’s what’s going on- the stress, better than the latter. He’s on purina chick starter, I add niacin into his food and I always have a separate bowl with grit and feed mix.
I’m sorry that happened :( More friends for Jack and a more secure coop will be great for them

I am sure that was devastating to come out to. I've lost a few chickens to a hawk attack and that was bad enough.
I hope you can find Jack some friends soon and get that door fixed so it never does happen again.
May I ask how you know it was a Manecoon cat?
We don’t know 100% but it’s something that can clear an 9ft fence and my bf said the animals had bigger claw marks than a normal cat. One of the ducks was cut open and organs placed around it. Plus there was one sleeping in the seat of a work truck my bf was working on in the back yard. 🤦‍♀️. I can only go by what he says because what I saw was enough, I couldn’t stand anymore.

Back
Top Bottom