1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor chicky

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChandaMerrie, Sep 8, 2011.

1. ChandaMerrie

ChandaMerrie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    2 weeks ago I had 3 silkie chicks hatch (their daddy's a frizzle) now today only one of my Marans hatched [​IMG] I just want to know if in a couple of days could I put the Maran with the 3 silkies? I don't want her to be lonely!! Or should I wait until my duckling hatches, I should say if it hatches! Out of 4 eggs only one looks like it will hatch [​IMG], the rest I took out of the bator a week or so ago!

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I think 2 weeks difference is big but on border of ok. Wait til you have bird in hand and then may introduce with supervision. I am not silkie proficient, are silkie chicks closer to bantam size? If so may not have a problem after first few hours. Good luck.

3. ChandaMerrie

ChandaMerrie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Yes, silikies are very small. I think the maran is about the same size as they are! Thank you!

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Since the older chicks are about the same size as the new one, it should be ok to put them together. Especially with silkies being pretty gentle. Just make sure to keep an eye on them for a while.

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    heck go ahead and put the darn chick with the others

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by