Poor DH

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by herfrds, Jan 31, 2012.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    As most of you might recall we are building our new house.

Well since Thursday DH is on his 4th trip to the store for more plumbing supplies. Thought we had gotten them on Thursday. Nope.
    Got almost home and discovered we lost a roll of Pex pipe out of the truck. Then on Saturday he ran out of needed supplies.
    Today discovered he miscounted and needed another fitting. We were just in town yesterdaygetting supplies.

Got the electrical done and it passed inspection. Basement is now insulated too.

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I feel for you two. My DH had to drive 26 miles round trip for a 1" nipple for a water supply. The part was probably $5, but it cost $13 in mileage and an hour and a half of time. [​IMG]Don't you wish you could just have a whole store in the backyard?

3. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Yes we do. Even worse is our 1 way trip is 70 miles to the store. The local store does not carry enough plumbing supplies to meet our needs unless it is just a single piece. Luckily they had it.

On a better note DH has almost all of the sewer lines run and set. Next is the Pex pipe for the water.

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    It's frustrating enough to end up having to make multiple trips for things when the store is within 15-30 minutes. 70 miles is quite a trip! We've got major renovations going on 2 additional houses that were picked up for rentals (we totally gutted both), and the 1 has about run everybody ragged chasing down missing materials. The other one will be finished in a couple of days and that's always a relief. Frustrating trips aside, it sounds like your place is coming right along. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    just gotta run the vent pipes through the roof and the sewer id done!
    DH is going into town for a meeting tomorrow and he is going to pick up 76 sheets of drywall for the upstairs ceiling. just waiting on the insulation. that should hopefully be in at the end of next week. then we can get more things done.

6. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Hanging rock on ceilings are a real pain in the neck, literally, especially with only 1 person. That's a job where I excel at being a supervisor only, lol.

7. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    One of the hunters that comes out every year is a contractor, he told us to give him a call and we can borrow his dry wall lift. [​IMG]
    The thing I do NOT want to do is the mudding and taping. Bleah!

8. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    You better keep his fridge well stocked with favorite malt beverages for awhile. I can relate to the "just one more thing" from the harware store or lumberyard situation. We bought a foreclosure/fixer upper 2 years ago and have been chewing on remodeling or fixing up a little at a time. The funnest part is the electrical and plumbing have been remodeled or repaired with no cohesive planning so there are a myriad of different parts to match up to make things work. Fortunately we have a well stocked hardware store nearby for small parts runs. Usually I buy 4 potential fittings and return the other 3 that aren't right. I've also assembled quite a boneyard of different plumbing and electrical parts from teardown buildings and construction dumpsters to rob for parts.

Sheetrock really sucks. Worst **** thing ever invented. I'm putting wainscoting up in a room this spring just so I don't have to hoist up heavy drywall sheets and mud, sand, repeat, paint, etc. Don't care if it's not fashionable.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I want a drywall lift! So far we have 1 ceiling done in the old part of the house....Guess that is one time to be thankful for a small room, 3 sheets of ultra light 1/2 4x8 and we had extra left over...lol

10. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    That'll sure help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by