Poor George- learning mounting the chicks just doesn't cut it!

greenckick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
So we got 6 new chicks that are 8-10 weeks old and they have been in the chicken tractor next to the big chicken play pen housing the roo George and his two ladies (25 weeks old). The older hens have shown no interest in the coop full of chicks however George has been making introductions and checking things out the last 2 weeks.
I decided to take the next step and let the chicks out with the big girls in the evening for a little free range. Poor George was so disappointed. He grabbed a chick and tried to jump aboard only to find there was no chicken to step on. He let go and went after his favorite lady instead. He tried one or two more times but seems to realize there is nothing to mount at the moment. I told him to have a little patience and he would have plenty of girls to choose from.
To add insult to injury George was trying to figure out how to keep an eye on the new girls and his ladies at the same time as they were on opposite sides of the back yard. He stood smack in the middle of both groups and I imagine he was praying the sun would go down soon. This was too much for the guy.

I figure I will increase the time the chickens are all together, and then get them all in the same coop. How long should I let this process take? George seems to be taking to the new chicks well but the girls ignore them almost completely, is that normal?

Thanks!

Why rush it? Locking the little ones in with George may not be the best thing, as hes going through his raging hormone period. If you had to you could do it quick, and hope for the best. Wait six to eight weeks till the younger ones are nearer grown to put them in the same coop. The older hens ignoring them is within the range of normal. If they cross some line, like going to the food at the wrong time then you may see the react. As they get older there will be more inter acting to firm out the pecking order. I'd rather have them leave the young ones alone at first than the other way.

Back
Top Bottom