Poor goat. :( What happened?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I bought a gorgeous, registered Boer goat (doeling) back in May or so....and had her at my MIL's house (she raises goats, too). Anyway, a month or so ago one of her goats got really and could not walk. Shortly after, he died.

Last week, the same thing happened with my goat (she was staggering around, collapsed and could not stand or walk). They (my in-laws) were bottle feeding her Enfamil and she seemed to be improving a little bit, day by day but was still not able to walk or stand.

No one wanted to tell me because I've had my fair share of stress lately. [​IMG]

These goats are housed in a two acre pasture with lots of green grass, some weeds and brush to eat. They were all up to date on shots, worming and hoof care.

I did find out that their only water source was the pond. The pond is covered in duck weed & algae.

Would this have caused them to get sick?

My MIL is not the best animal-care person and frequently kills things on accident because she sort of has no common sense with stuff like that. [​IMG] I should have known better than to entrust her with the care of a $150.00 goat but I know they are herd animals and the only way my DH would let me have a goat was if he didn't have to build a pen and we didn't have to take care of it. My plan was to breed her next spring and start raising meat goats....

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Is the algae blue-green algae? If so, that stuff can make humans very sick and can kill.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

I have no idea? I gave my MIL a flock of Muscovies two years ago to clean up the pond. They did a great job. Then she killed half the flock (thinning down for winter) and then the rest were eaten by coyotes. [​IMG]

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
  5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:No. It's mostly grass and Aspens with the occasional knapweed.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    had they been dewormed and vaccinated for overeating disease? Parasites kill goats fast and goats have very little resistance to them. They have to be dewormed frequently.

7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

VITAMIN AND MINERAL DEFICIENCIES IN GOATS

Proper vitamin and mineral levels are essential to the good health of goats. Although no single mineral can be singled out as more important than others, copper, zinc, and selenium levels are especially critical. The interaction of minerals is astoundingly complex. The most difficult task in raising goats is getting nutrition right, and vitamins and minerals are key. Most producers are not knowledgeable enough to formulate their own feed ration with appropriate levels of minerals and vitamins included. Achieving this is a complex task that is best left to a trained goat nutritionist.

Selenium: Major portions of the United States have soils that are deficient in selenium. Selenium deficiency is widespread in most of the eastern coast of the U.S., into the Great Lakes area, and throughout the northwestern part of this country. Plants grown in these soils are selenium deficient and therefore cannot provide adequate selenium to the goats that eat them.

Selenium deficiency, like Vitamin E deficiency, can cause white muscle disease (nutritional muscular dystrophy), causing the goat to have difficulty controlling its muscles. Newborns with weak rear legs may be selenium-deficient. Kids may be too weak to nurse their dams. Pneumonia may result from weakness in muscles that control breathing.

Producers raising goats in areas having selenium-deficient soil must make sure that this mineral is added to feed. Many producers give BoSe injections to newborn kids, as well as to adult goats. BoSe is a vet prescription item. Contact the local county extension agent or your veterinarian for information on your particular area or google 'selenium levels United States' for data.

Check this out. Selenium deficiency was a problem with my friends goats. She gives the injections.

8. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I bet its something in the pond! Every domesticated livestock should have access to clean water at all time. Tell your mother she needs to invest in a water tank!
    [​IMG] sorry about your goat.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Blue-green algae effects:
    http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/disaster/drought/bluegreenalgepoisoning.html

Blue-green algae produce two toxins, each with different symptoms. Signs of neurotoxin poisoning usually appear within 15 to 20 minutes after ingestion. In animals, symptoms include weakness, staggering, difficulty in breathing, convulsions and ultimately death. In humans, symptoms may include numbness of the lips, tingling in fingers and toes, and dizziness. Signs of liver poisoning may take hours or days to appear. Liver toxins can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting in humans and death in animals.​

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Thanks guys.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by