Poor little hen with horrific butt injury! PLEASE HELP!

momofspoiledchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
South Carolina
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on BYC. I have been using the forum for almost 2 years to help me in my crazy quest to raise chickens!
Thank you all for your help!!!
frow.gif

I have 8 banties (7 hens & 1 roo) that are about 2 years old. The smallest, quietest & shyest one is Snowball & she is of course, at the bottom of the pecking order. But, the others have never been too hard on her. They all get along very well. Today, while cleaning out the coop I noticed that she seemed to be missing a lot of feathers around her butt. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the area under her vent is VERY swollen! Also I saw what I thought was dried poo over her vent. I did a little reasearch & then proceeded to soak her in some warm water. Well, while in the water what I thought was the poo came off. Turns out it was a huge scab. She started bleeding a little, so put a little stop bleed & DE on it & watched her for a bit. The bleeding stopped & I made the huge mistake of putting her back in the coop. I checked on her after about 20 minuted & found that the others were pecking at her & they had pecked a hole in her! It is about the size of a quater & probably 1/2 an inch deep!!! It was beelding very badly. I got her out, put more stop bleed on it & took her in the house. It has stopped bleeding as of right now, but is there anything else I can do to help her? (Oh, I did put a little Neosporin on it too.) Any suggestions would be very appreciated! Thank you so much!

I swear by Alum Shield. It is a spray and looks like aluminun paint. I have had chickens attacked by dogs and gotten other cuts. Spray it on, keep her from the other chicks. and she will probably be fine.

I last month I had a three week old pullet with a big head wound from an escaped older chicken. I used an antiseptic called blu-cote on the advice of other people on this board. It dyes the wound blue and disinfects it at the same time. I kept her with just one buddy for a few days and then reintroduced her back to the flock with no trouble. Her scab fell off a week later. She has a bald spot, but otherwise she is fine.

She needs to be kept separate from other chickens until she completely heals up. Spray with blue kote to keep it from getting infected. Also watch to ensure flies don't lay eggs on her. Keep the area clean. No peroxide. She should heal up fine on her own for the most part with some preventative measures.

Thank you everyone for the tips! Yes, I can keep her inside for a few days (or however long it takes for her to heal up). Right now she is in a dog carrier in my bathroom. She seems fine. She looks a little weak, I think she lost a lot of blood. Her comb & earlobes are very light pink instead of red. But other than that, she looks good. I will head to the feed store tomorrow & get some Blu-Kote & Alum Sheild for her. Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom