Poor Muscovy ;(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThebigE, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ThebigE

ThebigE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Today I noticed that one of my muscovy hens that had already cut her webbing, but had also made a farely deep cut in her toe, then to make matters worse she had frostbite in that same toe, all the way through it. I knew that I had to make a decision of what to do so I tested the toe for any feeling. I picked her up and put my fingure under her toes. The two orange working live ones were curling around my fingure but the other blackish purple (as I called and call it the dead one) just layed limp. I knew it would become infected so I steralized some wire clippers and then cleaned the toe and wound. I then covered her eyes with a wash clothe and cut the toe off she had no reaction. So then I put rubbing alcohol on it and then I put her in the bathtub and she was having a blast.

2. Bananarose24

Bananarose24 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds like you made a good decision..
    Tough, but, did what was best for her..

And it was nice to let her play a bit after too [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

that's too bad but at least you got it before it got all infected and really hurt her, or she ended up losing her whole foot. did you sew up the end of the little spot you cut? i know her webbing will heal fine but i am asking about the toe part.

4. ThebigE

Dec 8, 2010
    The cut has apperently been there for alittle while so The skin and flesh was healing and I left a tiny bit of bone on be cuzz she was alittle agitated when I was getting down low.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

that's why i asked if you'd sewn it up, so the bone doesn't get infected.

6. ThebigE

Dec 8, 2010
    I will continue to moniter it but those muscovys are some bit harding and I think its going to fall off.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

well i hope it heals up cleanly, i am sure she'll feel better with that (probably)annoying immobile thing gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by