Poor Outcast Hen

Sadie57

Chirping
12 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Southern TN.
Sorry if this appear lengthy. Irene was traumatized this summer as each one of her chicks was picked off one by one by hawks. She was intergrated back into the flock and seem to be accepted by the few remaining. {fox attack} At one time Irene was the rooster's #1 hen. All of a sudden, our rooster HATES her and won't let her out of the coop to free range with others. He stalks her at night until each of the hens is where he wants them. Today, I saw him take her down, roll her around and was ripping at her head. I have her shut in the coop alone, but now the other hens can't get to nesting boxes. Hubby says we should put her out of her misery, but after all she's been through, would like to find an alternative. Do you think he will ever accept her again?

Try it both ways... remove the bully, does the victim fit in with the rest of the birds? Or is she still being bullied? If so, remove the victim, does the tension leave the flock, or does the rooster pick a new victim?

Always the biggest question in these situation, is...how many birds, how much space. Sometimes what they are telling you, is THIS flock of birds is over crowded, regardless what they numbers say. Sometimes you do get a bird that just does not fit. Many pre-fab coops vastly over state what number of birds will fit in there, as often times they say six birds, when in experience, 2-3 birds do much better there.

Mrs K

After reading your discussion, maybe I should add that we only have 4 hens left and rooster seems to love 3 of them. A red fox appeared one day and was chased off by our donkeys. After which we found the rooster in a bedraggled heap. When Hubby prepared to bury him, he moved, thank goodness. Over the next few weeks I was sure that his neck was broken, but slowly he responded. He is a friendly roo, to all but poor Irene. Since she is now bloodied, knowing how carniverous chickens are, shouldn't I confine her instead of him?

After reading your discussion, maybe I should add that we only have 4 hens left and rooster seems to love 3 of them. A red fox appeared one day and was chased off by our donkeys. After which we found the rooster in a bedraggled heap. When Hubby prepared to bury him, he moved, thank goodness. Over the next few weeks I was sure that his neck was broken, but slowly he responded. He is a friendly roo, to all but poor Irene. Since she is now bloodied, knowing how carniverous chickens are, shouldn't I confine her instead of him?
Sometimes confining the hen being bullied can only make her be bullied more, at the same time this could potentially work if she is in her own space but fully within reach of the other flock members so they can investigate her.

All of a sudden, our rooster HATES her and won't let her out of the coop to free range with others. He stalks her at night until each of the hens is where he wants them. Today, I saw him take her down, roll her around and was ripping at her head. I have her shut in the coop alone, but now the other hens can't get to nesting boxes. Hubby says we should put her out of her misery, but after all she's been through, would like to find an alternative. Do you think he will ever accept her again?

your rooster is the one bullying the hen and your solution is to get rid of the hen...?

Clearly OP came here for advice, "... after all she's been through, would like to find an alternative." If you don't have advice to offer, criticism is not pertinent to the conversation.

well, i don't see how removing the hen is a solution. what happens when the violent rooster moves onto the next hen?

Back
Top Bottom