Poor Poor Joey, the first Trader Joes Chick - Update (pic)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GardeNerd, Oct 30, 2009.

1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor Poor Joey, the Trader Joes Chick. I came out of the livingroom into the back of the house last week to discover this shocking sight...

[​IMG]

I didn't realize there was even a chicken in the house! It is official, she is no longer a chicken- she is a baby doll.

I occasionally tell folks Joey is like a baby doll with my kids. Apparently my 8 year old daughter REALLY thinks she is baby doll.

Joey is sweet and gentle and lets the kids sit with her all the time. Well, this day, my daughter was gently bathing her in the laundry sick after school along with another baby doll. Joey was quietly sitting there letting my daughter do what she wanted to to wash and dry her. I wouldn't have even known there was a chicken in there if I didn't walk over and look! I sure did a double take! Boy was I surprised! What a good chicken. So I had to take a whole bunch of pics, but this is just one.

My daughter causally said Joey was "poopy and needed a bath." I wish I could get her to wash all the chickens when they are dirty too! None of the other hens would have tolerated this indignity like Joey.

Joey is now laying Large size eggs, just like the Trader Joes Egg we hatched her out of, and 6 to 7 a week. She is the top hen in our little flock, eventhough she is so little and slight in comparison to the others. I think she doesn't even weigh 4 lbs. still. Last time I weighed her she was 3 1/2 lbs.

Here she is with her buddies enjoying a rest in the veggie garden (on the side of Tiger Lily's pen) after helping me "prep" the garden for the next planting season.
    [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That is so sweet!

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Love this post.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Wow! I had no idea a Leghorn could be that nice! Poor girl.

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    There's an interesting addition for the scrapbook! Your daughter doesn't even know how lucky she is. My kids have hoped for a sedate chicken for years.... Guess we'll have to go to Trader Joe's. [​IMG]

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks!

None of the other chickens that went out to the friend's farm from the other batches of our science project chicks are like Joey. They are a bit more leghorn like. Joey is a blessing.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    THat is just so priceless............

8. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Those are precious memories, so glad you caught them on camera

9. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Ive found DD napping with her sizzle hen. She sneaks out the backdoor and snags her from her pen and sneaks her back into her room.

And since sizzles are generally quiet, I dont always know until I see a feather flying around the kitchen...

Too bad you dont live closer. The girls could take their babies for walks in the stroller.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by