Poor Popcorn

TinyBoxTim

In the Brooder
May 17, 2015
Today my favorite laying hen passed on, and I was wondering if we could brainstorm on reasons why. For the past few weeks she hasn't been laying right if at all, and the eggs she did lay were small, whites only. I just thought it was because she was getting older, 3-4 years old. Then yesterday she sat at the waterer and drank a huge amount of water, I was concerned so i put them out to forage away from the water. I checked up on her several hours later and she was breathing heavy and not responding to touch or voice, so i put her in the coop and called it n evening. This morning she was lying on the coop floor. I'm concerned she could have had a disease and will spread it to my other hen and my two pullets. so any ideas on what happened and if it could pass on?

Egg yolk peritonitis. No, it is not contagious. Sorry for your loss.
sad.png

@Luvmy9hens it does sound a lot like Egg yolk peritonitis, i searched up the symptoms and she showed most of them. I hope that is what it is because that means my new babies are safe, they're only 11 weeks old and just yesterday got to sleep in the coop last night. Poor things are probably traumatized.

Last edited:
I found out it was most likely late stage cocci, my other older hen started displaying similar symptoms and almost dropped dead but I treated with Amprolium and she perked up pretty quick

Back
Top Bottom