1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poor Raoul!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Janie1972, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Janie1972

Janie1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    My five week old baby Cochins were attacked last night in their coop. I lost poor Raoul - of course my favorite. I will be taking even stronger messures tonight to secure them. I can't beleive how tricky these predators can be. I DO NOT like losing one of my babies. [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad [​IMG]

What got in and how?
    JJ

3. Janie1972

Janie1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    I have no idea. I just read the whole article about which predator it could be. I saw a dog trying to get in the other night, but it was digging. I then secured my chicken tractor with more chicken wire around the bottom - laying flat around the edges. Then two nights ago something got in and ate all their chicken scratch but got caught on my excess wire and left bits of fur - kinda greyish brown. Then last night - I looked out at 2 in the morning to see both water and food dishes knocked over - and 1 of the 4 chicks missing. He seems to have just disappeared. There seems to be no exit and only 1 feather - which frankly did not look like my chickens feather. The only thing I can think of is something stuck it's head under the netting I did not have too tight over the top of chicken tractor. But that would have required a lot of thought, in my opinion. It would have had to duck its head under it at a level of about 3 feet. Yikes

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I don't know about the animal that got your bird but the one that ate the feed and left fur on the fence would most likely be a opossum. Sorry about Raoul.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a coon maybe reaching thru the wire, if you haven't done it, lay hardware cloth against the wall around the coop walls about 12 to 18 up the wall (taller than the chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by