Poor Sambo's Date with The Vet

helmstead

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Alfordsville, IN
Sam, my mini stud colt, has a date with our beloved equine vet Monday at 1:30.

He's being GELDED.

Little does he know, but he will even have an audience for this event. My husband and a good friend, who have never seen a gelding procedure, will be there for, eh...moral support.

Sam was a gift from "Auntie Judy", our neighbor, for my DD on her first birthday. DD, however, has not been able to get near him since he dropped a few months ago. He's 2 years old this month and the hormones have, well, gotten the better of him. I've had full sized horse stud colts and worked with full sized horse stallions - let me tell you I think the hormone levels are the same in this wee little 28" guy as they are in a 17 hand warmblood stallion! What a monster! He WANTS to be good, but he can't help himself.

And I'm DONE with it! Chop chop little fellow!

I had somewhat hoped to keep him intact. He has excellent conformation & movement for a mini, is well bred and color to boot - we had dreamed of getting a mare down the road that complimented him. Alas, it is just not worth the trouble the little man can make. And, who knows, maybe once he's gelded DD can actually brush him again.

Considering that it takes four adults to pull a Coggins on him, this should be interesting.

yuckyuck.gif

Best "attitude adjustment" a male can have lol.

Quote:
th.gif

So he's got quite the little 'tude, huh? Well, it sucks you can't breed him, but you wouldn't want Sambo to become a danger to himself or others.
I'm tellin' ya... the biggest attitudes come from the smallest equines! My worst encounter was a Shetland (surprise, surprise
roll.png
).

Oh my, poor little guy. Well, he shouldn't have let the hormones get the better of him, lol. I bet hes gonna want to do this
smack.gif
to the vet when he gets done, lol.

Last edited:
I feel for you Kate!! I had a sweet little colt that turned into a rotten little stud seemingly overnight! He was sooo naughty! He went from standing quietly for the farrier to having 2 people (besides the farrier) holding him down for a foot trim!
My biggest issue is that he wouldn't drop and I couldn't afford the surgery. So I spent about a year in a constant, daily struggle for dominance with my guy until he finally dropped. :eek:

Gelding took care of it. He is now a well mannered gentleman, that his new owner enjoys very much.
big_smile.png
I used to be on a miniature horse forum and hormone crazy stud colts to be pretty common.

Good luck with your little guy.

This thread is cracking me up!!!

Well, Frozen...I hope Sam goes back to 'normal' like yours did! I'd love to actually let him do his job (being DD's pony).

Make sure you take a video camera to the vet's.
pop.gif

NOT to film the procedure...to capture the expressions on DH's and Co's faces!
ep.gif

Has anyone ever WATCHED a man (not including die hard, long time horse owners) at a gelding? Especially when they use the "cruncher"!

I have seen big, macho guys go COMPLETELY white (or green) at the sound!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom