Poorly baby. How can I help?

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I have a 10 week old Muscovy duckling. He had a lot of growth problems but seems to have had a growth spurt just lately. He's almost fully feathered and has been going outside during the day and in the shed at night for the past couple of weeks. Last night it was quite mild so I decided to leave him in his duck house outside with lots of straw and a heat pad. I found him this morning all floppy and laying on his side. I brought him inside and gave him some sugar water and some food. He's eating fine but still really floppy and falling over to the side. I'm not sure what to do
idunno.gif

I don't think is has been caused by the cold weather, I think is just happened at the same time. Have you been giving him vitamins and minerals as a supplement? They need so much of it in their first 12 weeks and a lack can cause weaknesses. The most important one is Niacin (Vitamin B3). I would suggest to get a poultry supplement and some Niacin from the drug store. Mix 100mg of Niacin to 1 gallon (4 liters) of water. It should improve the duck within 2 days. Also remember the duck is fully feathered at that age, but does not have all the warm downs and winter fat yet. At this age I would not let it sleep below 50 degrees. 60 degrees would be more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom