poorly chciken - help please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wonkeydonkey, Apr 6, 2012.

1. wonkeydonkey

wonkeydonkey New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    hi, just after some advice, i came home from work a few days ago and found one of my 25week old chickens was all fluffed up and with out energy, i then found red mite in their coop. i have cleaned this out and also powered and also wormed them because she has lost weight and is off her food. her poo's were just water a few days ago, now they are water with a little solid in them which is bright green! she has only been given layers pellets but on tuesday the other girls did get into the grass cuttings which i tried to keep away from them! im guessing she might have eaten a bit of this... should i be concerned? she is still v weak and i'm about to go away for a few days.( neighbour is looking after them ) im worried she might not be with us when we get back

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Grass and weeds are ok for chickens to eat. I would recommend a protein boost as well as vitamins for your flock. Boiled or scrambled eggs will be readily consumed, as well as any table scraps of meat or veggies . Did you clean the coop to kill the mites?

3. wonkeydonkey

wonkeydonkey New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    i pressure wash the coop out every week anyway but once i saw the mites i washed it out again and powdered the girls

she is going down hill v fast and can cant keep her eyes open... im totally gutted but have no idea whats wrong with her... she is total skin and bones! i tried crambled eyes but she wasnt interested at all!!!

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i know next to nothing about such things, but i had an 8 wk old chick injured. she was similar in behavior. i put heat light on her. it seemed like she couldn't hold her own body temp up anymore. the heat seemed to make a real difference for her. i removed it when she began moving around again.
    hope she does ok.

5. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    you should post here
    Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by