Poorly chicken, no idea what it is??

hollymcsam

Hatching
May 23, 2015
We have 5 chickens who are just under a year old. All but 1 of them are healthy, happy and normal. The one who is unwell is very lethargic, she barely moves. She sits down and closes her eyes until someone or something disturbs her. She doesn't move when something is bothering her and when I have picked her up and go to put her down on the floor again, she doesn't put her feet down and rolls onto her side. She has no history of any illness, we think she is eating normally however she isn't laying. She also regularly shakes her head In a circular motion which makes her look quite uncomfortable. She's really ill and I was wondering if anyone had any information or advice they could offer as we're quite inexperienced and this is a new thing for us.

Welcome to BYC. She might be egg impacted in which there's not much you can do except provide her comfort care. She could possibly be eggbound. You can put her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking for 20 minutes. The warm water expands her innards and massaging her underside helps move the egg along. Then wear a disposable glove and put olive oil on it to lube just inside and outside her vent . This will make it easier to for her lay the stuck egg, if this is the problem.
Also, visually inspect her for lice/mites. Repeat the warm soak as necessary in hopes she lays an egg.

This almost sounds like broodiness to me. What happens if you put a couple of eggs in front of her?

Poor girl. Hope she can get that egg to move. You have been given good advice and links. I hope she has the best possible outcome.

We bathed her and syringed her with oil but no improvement. She is very skinny and has lost a lot of weight. Very worried.

Back
Top Bottom