Poorly new girl

Gingers R Cool

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2018
Hi everyone I have a 4 month old chicken that has started limping & sitting down a lot. She still eats, walks, runs & jumps. Since I had her at 10 weeks she has been popping what looks like intestines. I treated the girls for 1 week for coccidiosis, just incase. I then took her to the vets & they checked her out & said she hadn't hurt her leg but gave me a weeks supply of tylan. This seemed to help a bit, but the poop was still the same, but there was also some dark diarrhoea aswell, but this may be because of the antibiotics. I sent a sample of poop off to the lab & it came back clear. The vet has given me another week of tylan, but said after that there isnt much they can do, but let nature take its course. I lost 2 girls in aug & sept and dont want to loose another. Can anyone help? Cheers Sharon

Did you use Corid to treat for coccidiosis earlier? Can you post any pictures of her or her abnormal poop? A video of her walking posted to YouTube with a link posted here would be helpful to see if it looked more like Mareks disease or an injury. Reproductive disorders can happen occasionally to young chickens, although they are more common in hens over 2 years. How is her crop functioning? Does it gradually fill up during the daytime, and then empty overnight by the next morning? Fill of her breast for weight loss, and feel of her lower belly for enlargement or fullness compared to others. Look for any swelling in her leg and feet, and note if there are any scabs on her foot pads.

Hi everyone I have a 4 month old chicken that has started limping & sitting down a lot. She still eats, walks, runs & jumps. Since I had her at 10 weeks she has been popping what looks like intestines. I treated the girls for 1 week for coccidiosis, just incase. I then took her to the vets & they checked her out & said she hadn't hurt her leg but gave me a weeks supply of tylan. This seemed to help a bit, but the poop was still the same, but there was also some dark diarrhoea aswell, but this may be because of the antibiotics. I sent a sample of poop off to the lab & it came back clear. The vet has given me another week of tylan, but said after that there isnt much they can do, but let nature take its course. I lost 2 girls in aug & sept and dont want to loose another. Can anyone help? Cheers Sharon
Hi Sharon:frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your pullet and the poop?
Your vet gave you Tylan for part of her treatment - did they explain what it was to be used for, did they give you a "diagnosis"? Did they mention infection, Enteritis, Mycoplasma - anything like that?

I'm sorry you lost 2 girls earlier this year, did they exhibit some of the same symptoms?

Did you use Corid to treat for coccidiosis earlier? Can you post any pictures of her or her abnormal poop? A video of her walking posted to YouTube with a link posted here would be helpful to see if it looked more like Mareks disease or an injury. Reproductive disorders can happen occasionally to young chickens, although they are more common in hens over 2 years. How is her crop functioning? Does it gradually fill up during the daytime, and then empty overnight by the next morning? Fill of her breast for weight loss, and feel of her lower belly for enlargement or fullness compared to others. Look for any swelling in her leg and feet, and note if there are any scabs on her foot pads.
Hi Sharon:frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your pullet and the poop?
Your vet gave you Tylan for part of her treatment - did they explain what it was to be used for, did they give you a "diagnosis"? Did they mention infection, Enteritis, Mycoplasma - anything like that?

I'm sorry you lost 2 girls earlier this year, did they exhibit some of the same symptoms?

Hi I will try to get some pictures. The vet doesnt really know what it is, but said she could be bleeding from high up in the gut/stomach. Ive only had chickens for 2 years so not that experienced. One of my others had a similar problem but she went down very rapidly. Never heard of these other things you mentioned, will read up on them. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom