Poorly Orphington

suzannejayne

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014

Can anyone give me some advice...this chick is over 24 hours old and is still unable to stand and just slumps with its legs splayed. Any idea's or does it need dealing with?? It was very weak and has gained lots of strength but don't want it to be in pain althought it doesn't look as it is in any obvious discomfort.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your chick. It looks like it may have splayed legs, which is correctable if treated early. For more answers, I would post about your chick in the Emergencies section of the forums. There are many knowledgeable people there who should be able to help.

Good luck!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice/links from above posters, good luck with the chick.

The earlier you treat the greater the chances for full recovery. Do you use newspaper in the broody? Slippery surfaces bring on leg problems. Non skid flooring can help get them up on their feet.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm so sorry about your chick!!
hugs.gif
Wyandottes7 has given you great links to check out.

Best of luck wit you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh poor baby. Yes, hobble up the legs so she can stand. Also, some good therapy is putting them in a shot glass for 10 mins twice a day without the hobbles on strengthens the legs. And make sure they are on some non skid material so they don't slip.

Good luck and I hope you can get this baby on her feet soon!

Back
Top Bottom