Poorly Runner Duck

Aug 28, 2023
Hi, I have a couple of Indian Runner Ducks. They are totally free range and, until a few days ago, appeared to be perfectly healthy. However, I have noticed 1 is very lethargic, has stopped showing interest in food and, although dipping her beak in water. Does not appear to be drinking. I've also noticed she has what appears to be a white dusting at the top of her beak, as though she's dipped her beak in flour then washed it off apart from the very top of the beak. I haven't noticed anything in her poop, although she's not pooping much, if at all, at the moment. I don't have a local vet with duck knowledge. Can anyone please help?

I moved your thread for you.

I will tag a couple people who may be able to help or at least would know who can help.
While awaiting assistance can you give more information about your duck?
Age, what feed you use, if they have access to a pond that other waterfowl use, where in the world you are located (just a state is enough) since climate matters with birds.
Pictures definitely help a lot. Hopefully you can get a picture or two of her condition.

@Miss Lydia , @Isaac 0 Can either of you help here?

I moved your thread for you.

I will tag a couple people who may be able to help or at least would know who can help.
While awaiting assistance can you give more information about your duck?
Age, what feed you use, if they have access to a pond that other waterfowl use, where in the world you are located (just a state is enough) since climate matters with birds.
Pictures definitely help a lot. Hopefully you can get a picture or two of her condition.

@Miss Lydia , @Isaac 0 Can either of you help here?
Thank you for moving the thread for me and for tagging others. She is approximately 7 years old and lives in the UK (southern end). She has free run of a very large garden with access to plenty of bugs and greenery etc. She is fed on layer pellets and sometimes a mix of soggy bread mixed with some herbs. They both have access to 2 sources of water - nothing else shares this.

Attachments

• 20230828_110658.jpg
    20230828_110658.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230828_110644.jpg
    20230828_110644.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230828_110824.jpg
    20230828_110824.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 4
Thank you for moving the thread for me and for tagging others. She is approximately 7 years old and lives in the UK (southern end). She has free run of a very large garden with access to plenty of bugs and greenery etc. She is fed on layer pellets and sometimes a mix of soggy bread mixed with some herbs. They both have access to 2 sources of water - nothing else shares this.
Oh, and they're both going through a moult.

I am sorry your runner isn't feeling well. Does she still lay? the white powder could she have gotten into something out in the garden that was toxic? we have a list of flushes. Probably would be a good idea to search the area and wherever else she has access to.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
They have always been 'lazy' layers - normally only lay for a few weeks each summer so not unusual for neither of them to be laying at this time of year. I don't have anything toxic in the garden at all - don't even use chemicals to control weeds. The white powdery stuff looks almost like a fungus but I'm wondering whether this is just from her preening whilst moulting?

They have always been 'lazy' layers - normally only lay for a few weeks each summer so not unusual for neither of them to be laying at this time of year. I don't have anything toxic in the garden at all - don't even use chemicals to control weeds. The white powdery stuff looks almost like a fungus but I'm wondering whether this is just from her preening whilst moulting?

Maybe a plant she nibbled on that produced the white powder. Just thinking whatever the white powder was could be the culprit.

Might be a good idea to put some vitamins into her feed or drinking water.
Bring her inside so you can monitor her eating and drinking and pooping.

I've never seen a white powder on my ducks bills when preening while molting, Not that it can't happen I have just never seen it before and with how she is acting something has definitely made her feel bad.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom