POP DOOR FINAL DETAILS NEED OPIONS ON MY DESIGN.

davidr

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Mokena, IL
Finishing the details on the coop.

The pop door opening is approx 12x18

instead of a hinge or slide I was thinking of having it just come off. The door would fit in the opening like a cork in a bottle. simple eye hook on the inside to hold it in place.

I'm not worried about predators, totaly enclosed run.

yes/no/maybe, all comments are always welcome.

Thanx,

David

That is how my pop doors are and it works out just fine. I rarely ever have to shut them at all because of the closed runs and mild weather in the winter here.

mine is gonna be totally enclosed as there is a racoon family living two houses away that the wife wont let the husband dispose of so ill just have to be more careful i guess.

If you're going to open and close it every day, I think hinged would be the easiest/best. You don't have to worry about as precise tolerances for fit, it's probably more secure, if you ever need that, and you don't have to worry about where to put the door or losing it.

Quote:
Sounds good, but I'm too scared to not close my pop door every night. We have a fully enclosed run, but knowing my luck, some predator would get in somehow the one night I decided to leave it open
hmm.png

I went to Home Depot and got drawer slides like on kitchen cabinets. They roll up and down very easily. I have 3 adjoining coops and will eventually have a cable pull system for them. Just pull one cable from outside the runs and all 3 doors will come open. Just a thought.

I think the drawer slide idea is clever.

I do not have the fine motor wood working skills necessary to make a door with hinges that fits and is tight.

I'm worried about drafts from a door crack, as this part of the coop faces north.

I can hang the door on the coop wall with an eye bolt and hook.

I was also thinking about using a small double hung window mounted at floor level for a pop door.

David

Back
Top Bottom