pop door for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmgirl7, Jul 24, 2014.

1. farmgirl7

farmgirl7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Hanging into Texas
    I'm trying to decide how to build a door for the chickens in my new coop. I'm not ready to invest in an automatic door, so how is the best way to build it? I would prefer one that goes up and down in a tract rather than a "draw bridge" type. Is there some thing easy to make the sides slide easily? Thanks ahead of time for your comments and instruction. BYC is a wonderful site![​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I took a 2x4 and cut down one side and one edge leaving the shape of an "L" made one for both sides a little bigger than the 1/2 plywood door so it slides smoothly. I have my door on the inside and have the "D 20 add a motor" hooked to it, for around $80 it's a pretty nice feature to consider plugged into a digital timer with a battery back up it works great.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    IslaBean likes this.
  5. farmgirl7

Feb 28, 2014
    Hanging into Texas
    Hey, thanks! I hadn't considered putting it on the inside[​IMG]! That way it doesn't get wet and the wood swell and stick. I think I can figure this out. The pictures are very helpful! I have the drawbridge in my smaller coop and

6. farmgirl7

Feb 28, 2014
    Hanging into Texas
    (sorry), poop and feathers, etc., are always getting in the place where it closes.

7. Arcadia Chicken

Arcadia Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Windham, Maine
    [​IMG]

This is how I set mine up. Works great.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It would still be best to protect it from rain....and the bottom track can still gather poop and bedding and keep it form closing far enough for my slide lock to work. If you keep it high off the floor ~8" that will help keep the bedding in the coop.

I put an awning over my pop door and ramp...... and a glass 'foyer'(left over window panes) to block the prevailing winds.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by