Pop door lock?

Malkaris

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
ATL Canada
I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
Naturally I want the run attached to my coop to be predator-proof all around.
But to be on the safe side, I was looking for a simple idea for locking my pop door so nothing can slide it up on its track. Maybe a bar across the top? I want something I can undo from the outside. Can post a pic later.

Does anyone lock their pop door?

I had seen a coop on u tube that use a door hing that when you pull on the rope to lift the door it would straighten out and lift , if you try to lift the door without the rope the hinge would stay closed and hit a board not allowing the door to open . Hope I explain that right
Pete
I think I get it!

I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.
Naturally I want the run attached to my coop to be predator-proof all around.
But to be on the safe side, I was looking for a simple idea for locking my pop door so nothing can slide it up on its track. Maybe a bar across the top? I want something I can undo from the outside. Can post a pic later.

Does anyone lock their pop door?
I do not but I have thought about this also. My pop door currently opens from the outside of the coop. I love it, so I want the same for my "lock". I have been considering something like a long bar horizontally that will slide in above the pop door and prevent it from opening that can also be removed from the outside. The bar would be clipped into an eyelet on the outside of the coop so only we can open it. Or something like a bar with a tough spring that I pull and clip in the open position from the outside of the coop. I hope this makes sense lol. My run is predator proof, however so I am in no hurry to configure a lock for the pop door. I like to be ultra safe, though.

I had seen a coop on u tube that use a door hing that when you pull on the rope to lift the door it would straighten out and lift , if you try to lift the door without the rope the hinge would stay closed and hit a board not allowing the door to open . Hope I explain that right
Pete

You are! I'd like to try and see if it'd work with my design. :)

I do not but I have thought about this also. My pop door currently opens from the outside of the coop. I love it, so I want the same for my "lock". I have been considering something like a long bar horizontally that will slide in above the pop door and prevent it from opening that can also be removed from the outside. The bar would be clipped into an eyelet on the outside of the coop so only we can open it. Or something like a bar with a tough spring that I pull and clip in the open position from the outside of the coop. I hope this makes sense lol. My run is predator proof, however so I am in no hurry to configure a lock for the pop door. I like to be ultra safe, though.

I've been thinking along similar lines, trying to figure out the logistics of attaching something surefire - especially what the bar or whatever will be attached to when locked, and something that will work in winter...

Something like this maybe?

The video irish44395 described! Thanks for showing me! I'm curious as to whether I could make that work...

Another one.....

Now that is cool. I was thinking about a bar but that's neat in vids 1 and 3!

I have something like this on one pop door, rope operates it from 6' away.
Other pop door has a rod.
Pics of both are in my coop page.
I wanted to put in a rod then realized when the door is up there's barely any space between the top of the door and the pulley. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom