popcorn ball

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ajaldridge, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    I got a popcorn ball to put in the chickens coop today to keep them busy since it's suppose to be overcast all day and I know they won't come out much but I'm at a loss as to how to hang it for them. Best I have came up with is pushing a hole through the popcorn ball and attatching a rubberband to it to hang it up, but will they eat the rubberband? And if not that what do I do?

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    You may have hung it already, but you can take a metal coat hanger and push it out the other side. Let the ball hang in the middle of the hanger, take the extra end back up to the bent end of the hanger and twist it around and around. Then you can use the hook to suspend it from the roof, a board, a rope or whatever by bending it over so they can't just knock it upwards and have it fall off. Just be sure that you go get the hanger once it's empty so they don't knock it down and get hurt.

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Good idea! Now to find some that haven't been replaced by plastic ones. Lol

4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Now to ask probably a stupid question... but...

My girls LUV popcorn... so if I was going to make some popcorn balls for them...what sticky stuff should I use to hold he ball together?

When I make them for the birds, I use peanut butter and roll the balls in birdseed. Don't think that would work for the girls.

Thoughts?

D

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I think using peanut butter and birdseed would work just fine.
    Or peanut butter and scratch grains.
    Or peanut butter and coat the outside with layer crumbles....

6. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    I ended up throwing the popcorn ball and watching a mad dash for the new toy. Then they found out it was food and it was even funnier watching them try to keep everyone else away from it. Everyone got plenty of it though and had a blast at the same time. Maybe I should get them a ball for my son to play with them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by