Porcelain Project

Love them!

I have a hatch due Thursday out of my self blue cream pair and self blue cream rooster x lavender hen.

This is a 4 month old pullet from my pair that I am keeping.

She's gorgeous! I love her crest and feet. Sweet looking little girl.

She's gorgeous! I love her crest and feet. Sweet looking little girl.

Thank-you
smile.png
She is a very sweet girl. The self blue cream is my favorite Silkie color. Second favorite is the lavender.

My original 5 (2 self blue cream roosters and 3 hens- 1 self blue cream, 1 lavender and 1 white) are all from eggs I bought from Catdance Silkies.

Thank-you
smile.png
She is a very sweet girl. The self blue cream is my favorite Silkie color. Second favorite is the lavender.

My original 5 (2 self blue cream roosters and 3 hens- 1 self blue cream, 1 lavender and 1 white) are all from eggs I bought from Catdance Silkies.
Same here! And my Blue Cream foundation male and Lavender and Partridge females came from Karen Larson's eggs too! I went to her Catdance Farm in Feb. 2013 and toured her pens. I was blown away by her Lavender and Porcelain pens. She is the nicest lady. I still see her breeding pens in my dreams. Her system is my inspiration.

These nine BC chicks came from one hen. I wasn't going to use her because she has so much dun/khaki. But these chicks are so consistent in lavender and buff distribution from day one. We will surely see if they turn out Blue Cream or not.

This is mom. She is by my Catdance Paint X Lavender pullet.

Same here! And my Blue Cream foundation male and Lavender and Partridge females came from Karen Larson's eggs too! I went to her Catdance Farm in Feb. 2013 and toured her pens. I was blown away by her Lavender and Porcelain pens. She is the nicest lady. I still see her breeding pens in my dreams. Her system is my inspiration.
I thought they looked like Catdance birds! They have a distinct look to them don't they?

These nine BC chicks came from one hen. I wasn't going to use her because she has so much dun/khaki. But these chicks are so consistent in lavender and buff distribution from day one. We will surely see if they turn out Blue Cream or not.

This is mom. She is by my Catdance Paint X Lavender pullet.

Awww, such cute chicks and a beautiful hen! Can't wait for my chicks to hatch tomorrow and see what colors I get.

Ok, I have officially read this entire thread and have been drooling at these beautiful beasts! Truly spectacular. I so would love to be able to breed silkies and this color is exquisite. Will have to start accumulating the necessary pens and coops. If I can find some silkies to get started with at that time, most certainly will. You have all inspired me! Absolutely stunning.

Ok, I have officially read this entire thread and have been drooling at these beautiful beasts! Truly spectacular. I so would love to be able to breed silkies and this color is exquisite. Will have to start accumulating the necessary pens and coops. If I can find some silkies to get started with at that time, most certainly will. You have all inspired me! Absolutely stunning.

Thank you and you go monkcat!

Blue Cream aka Porcelain is one of those project varieties where pictures do not do them justice. The colors are subtle and change with the light. Every chick is a beauty but getting that lovely 80% lavender and 20% buff...That is the trick and the challenge. Two more chicks hatched today. This time by my
Lavender X Porcelain pen.
r

Awwww! I'm certainly a newb in many ways, but look gorgeous to me!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have a plan formulating. I have an old storage building that would turn into a coop with no problem. AND, in the old barn on our property, I found old metal - looks like army racks - that would be really easy to make into multiple pens. I can see 9 good sized ones on the racks for pairing off a male with females and/or brooders. Or even bachelor pads. And that storage building would be easy to move next to or inside that barn and a run made. Yep, it's coming together. Poor DH.

Now, if anyone wants to share how to find stock worthy of breeding, what kind of quality is needed... That would be appreciated. I think I'm going to get an incubator and try to hatch some eggs a few times to see how that goes before trying with Silkies. Once I feel that's something I can do okay, hopefully will have at least a starting point with a Silkie House!

Thanks again! For the encouragement and sharing these lovelies.

Awwww! I'm certainly a newb in many ways, but look gorgeous to me!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have a plan formulating. I have an old storage building that would turn into a coop with no problem. AND, in the old barn on our property, I found old metal - looks like army racks - that would be really easy to make into multiple pens. I can see 9 good sized ones on the racks for pairing off a male with females and/or brooders. Or even bachelor pads. And that storage building would be easy to move next to or inside that barn and a run made. Yep, it's coming together. Poor DH.

Now, if anyone wants to share how to find stock worthy of breeding, what kind of quality is needed... That would be appreciated. I think I'm going to get an incubator and try to hatch some eggs a few times to see how that goes before trying with Silkies. Once I feel that's something I can do okay, hopefully will have at least a starting point with a Silkie House!

Thanks again! For the encouragement and sharing these lovelies.
Thanks back at ya monkcat!
thumbsup.gif
It is you that as given me words of encouragement tonight.

I share this link with people for Silkies. https://www.facebook.com/groups/467418163292049/

There is a document on the site with all the breeders that want to sell in many States. I'm in Washington and do not ship at this time but many many fine breeders do. Some list birds for free with just the cost of shipping. Some sell for many hundreds of $ for truly excellent bloodlines. Most are affordable. Many sell hatching eggs of every silkie variety you can name and then some.

There is an auction site here on BYC that sometimes lists Silkies.

Your local feed store employees might know people too. And don't forget to go to your local county fair and check out the poultry barn. You can sometimes find breeders there. Bigger the fair, the more breeders there will be.

Thanks back at ya monkcat!
thumbsup.gif
It is you that as given me words of encouragement tonight.

I share this link with people for Silkies. https://www.facebook.com/groups/467418163292049/

There is a document on the site with all the breeders that want to sell in many States. I'm in Washington and do not ship at this time but many many fine breeders do. Some list birds for free with just the cost of shipping. Some sell for many hundreds of $ for truly excellent bloodlines. Most are affordable. Many sell hatching eggs of every silkie variety you can name and then some.

There is an auction site here on BYC that sometimes lists Silkies.

Your local feed store employees might know people too. And don't forget to go to your local county fair and check out the poultry barn. You can sometimes find breeders there. Bigger the fair, the more breeders there will be.

I must thank you yet again! I just requested to join the silkie group. Have been scouring the ads on BYC! LOL Have checked around locally with no luck. But, did find a hatchery silkie who at least can be a lovable fuzzbutt. October we have the largest free fair in the world and I will definitely be checking that out!

This may sound weird, but while I'd like really nice-looking/workable birds, I think I would want something to be done that I could work on? Where's the fun in having a perfect specimen that's purchased rather than perfecting through learning, gaining knowledge and effort? I'm sure that's always going to be the case to some extent. Nothing is perfect. And you can always work on preference, such as color, for instance. But, to have great results from hard work is just more meaningful. Anyway, it's late, I'm sleepy and get up in under 4 hours to go to work. Night all!

Back
Top Bottom