Portable Chicken Fence

Frank Hengels

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2020
I made a portable fence for my chicken tractor it is 40 x 40 I made a PVC frame and used 5ft plastic chicken wire from amazon. two people can move it, but I use a lawnmower with rope. Used 20ft sticks of PVC from local lumber yard. Used plastic wire ties to attach plastic fence. It was easy and fast. I used 1" sch40 has a pvc gate on the far side. Also my chicken tractor.
I have a very large back yard and I live in town. My chicken run Is 3/4 acre.
I have it divided off using 20ft horse panels 5ft tall. When this photo was take
it still had some temporary wood post, they are all T posts now. Prediyors can't get through the horse panels.
1608402368757.jpeg

1608401288875.jpeg

Last edited:

woodworm

Songster
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 31, 2015
North Wales, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Sounds good, photo's would be great.

You may know this already, but this forum is the only one I know of where you can copy and paste pic's directly into a post without having to upload and embed them (great feature!). I use windows snipping tool all the time to add copy and paste pic's.

U_Stormcrow

Free Ranging
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
What size PVC? I made a grow out pen with 1/2" Sch 40, its 4' x 6.5' x 4' high, zip tied plastic poultry fencing to it, since it stays in the barn, predator free. (Also, easier to pick up, wash off, return to position - it sits on a 6x8 tarp to ease cleaning.)

Even then, its pretty flexible, I had to add supports on the "long" side to keep it from sagging too much. Cant imagine trying to keep a 20x20 square and stiff enough to drag anywhere. Would appreciate your experience!

kcan2

Crowing
Oct 18, 2019
MI
I made a portable fence for my chicken tractor it is 40 x 40 I made a PVC frame and used 5ft plastic chicken wire from amazon. two people can move it, but I use a lawnmower with rope. Used 20ft sticks of PVC from local lumber yard. Used plastic wire ties to attach plastic fence. It was easy and fast. I used 1" sch40 has a pvc gate on the far side. Also my chicken tractor.
I have a very large back yard and I live in town. My chicken run Is 3/4 acre.
I have it divided off using 20ft horse panels 5ft tall. When this photo was take
it still had some temporary wood post, they are all T posts now. Prediyors can't get through the horse panels.
View attachment 2455898

View attachment 2455868
Thank you for adding the pics! This looks awesome - looks like I will be making a trip to buy some PVC come spring!

Top Bottom