Porter's Turkeys early bird special

UThobbyfarmer

Free Ranging
9 Years
May 29, 2013
Utah
I placed an order with Porter's Turkeys for their 2020 "early bird special". Assorted poults for only $5 each! Seemed like a screaming good deal to me. It worked out to $97.50 shipped for 15 birds. The plan is to keep about 4+ and resell the rest. I'm looking forward to a beautiful assortment to grow out in 2020.

As of today they still have the "early bird" deal listed as an option on their website.

When you receive the assortment does Porters tell you what's in there, or is it just a guess on the buyer's part? I'm trying to find some Blue Slate turkeys and wouldn't mind getting other breeds and finding homes for the extras because that's a great price.

If anyone is selling late season hatching eggs for Blue Slates, I'd be interested in them.

When you receive the assortment does Porters tell you what's in there, or is it just a guess on the buyer's part? I'm trying to find some Blue Slate turkeys and wouldn't mind getting other breeds and finding homes for the extras because that's a great price.

If anyone is selling late season hatching eggs for Blue Slates, I'd be interested in them.
It is my understanding that the assortment comes with a list of what is in the box but you still have to figure out which is which. The odds of getting some Blue Slates in the mix is very low.

You can’t really ask for specific varieties, but they do label all of the poults so you will know what you got.
They try to give you a variety, I got 5 different types out of the 15 I got I think.

I figured it would be...lol But it is nice to know they let you know what they shipped, you just have to figure out what they are. @R2elk do you happen to know anyone breeding Blue Slates?
You can order them from a number of the hatcheries including Porter's. I believe Stromberg's, Mcmurray and Cackle are just a few of them. Ideal Poultry located in Texas lists Blue Slate as one of the varieties that they carry.

I used to raise them myself but have since switched to Sweetgrass. I did bring in Self Blues from Porter's so that I would not have to deal with the Black turkeys. I used a Self Blue tom on Blue Slate hens to produce 50% Blue Slates and 50% Self Blues.

Good luck.

I placed an order with Porter's Turkeys for their 2020 "early bird special". Assorted poults for only $5 each! Seemed like a screaming good deal to me. It worked out to $97.50 shipped for 15 birds. The plan is to keep about 4+ and resell the rest. I'm looking forward to a beautiful assortment to grow out in 2020.

As of today they still have the "early bird" deal listed as an option on their website.
That's a great deal. I went to their website to check it out. But it does not show what breeds they offer. I know it is random as to the poults I would get. But the website does not list what breeds they have as a pissibility

Back
Top Bottom