Possible Black Copper Maran hens?

Serenity30

Chirping
6 Years
May 30, 2013
Southern Louisiana
I have 2 hens that I think are Black Copper Maran. We only have two like them. Could anyone tell me if these are that breed or something different? Any help would be greatly appreciated !! Thanks !!

This is a picture I took this morning of one.

Can you get better pictures of them? Where did you get them? Black Copper Marans and Black Sex Link pullets look a lot alike, especially hatchery Marans. Marans often have feathers on their feet, are usually bigger than BSLs, and the red feathers are usually confined to the neck area. Black Sex Links usually have clean feet, and often have a lot of red in the feathers on the chest. There is always the egg color of course, Marans hopefully lay much darker brown eggs.

My BCM hen has a much bigger, redder comb and feathered legs. If they are BCMs, they are either from a clean legged line or they are crosses. I say wait until they lay; if their eggs are a beautiful chocolate brown, then they are BCMs! If they are not, then they are black sex links, who are not all fancy-schmancy but they ARE good layers!

The top one looks like a BSL, her legs look like they have that yellow/greenish wash that they get from being a crossbreed. She also appears to have red in her chest and wing feathering, which is normal for BSL.
The second one looks more like Marans but she still has too much red in the neck/chest area. She could be a poor quality Black Copper Marans (no leg feathering) but it is not very likely that you got marans and bsl.
I would say they are Black Sex Links and then be happily surprised IF they turn out to be Marans. Guess you will find out for sure when they lay some eggs for you.

Edited for spelling error. Oops

Last edited:
They look like Black Sex-Links to me. Black Copper Marans usually have feathered legs, and slightly different body shape (a bit deeper, with more comb and wattle).

I think that's a black sex link hen. I'm not great on the Marans, but I don't think they have the copper color going so far down the breast, or leakage through the body/wing like this girl does. And Marans should be larger, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom