1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

possible blind newly hatch mallard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylee2katie, Jun 20, 2011.

1. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    We had 8 mallards hatch over the weekend. One appears to be blind. It follows momma and siblings - apparently by sound, and is eating and drinking but is occasionally getting lost/left behind. Both eyes are solid milky white. Is this baby blind? Someone suggested it may be the third eyelid is stuck...is this possible? How do I determine? What do I do? Here is the best picture I can get posted today:

[​IMG]

2. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    any one?

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh poor baby!
    Do a search for 'blind chicks' - I know its come up a few times before so hopefully you might find a thread that matches your little ones' symptoms. I know there are quite a few members who have raised blind chickens, so there's still a chance for her! x

4. stargirl

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
  5. kylee2katie

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Thank you so much! It didn't answer my questions but it most certainly gave me hope!! You have made my day!

6. stargirl

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm glad [​IMG]

Hopefully you'll get some more answers now your thread has been moved to this forum.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by