Possible broken leg

Phalennichole

Chirping
Sep 11, 2021
Hello y’all, today when we got home from the store I noticed my baby black silkie didn’t come when all my chickens see me come into the yard. I went looking for her and seen she got caught between one of the holes between a giant kennel we have around our coop for when they are put up for a run. She had never got caught so my husband said maybe something was trying to pull her through. Anyways she’s limping now and she’s dragging her foot. I thought maybe it’s broke but When I touch or move it she doesn’t make noise or act like it’s hurt. Tomorrow I can post a pic with what it looks like. Any thoughts. It’s annoying because no vets near me look at chickens. This is my first year with chickens so I’m not sure what to do. If it was broke I wanted to split it but since I don’t feel anything or she’s not acting like I’m pain when I touch it idk what to do. My husband said maybe it’s just sore or sprained. Is that possible if she’s dragging it? Like she’s dragging her foot when her ankle is on the ground and her toes are pointing back. Picture is not of her just had to add a pick and I don’t have a pic of her Injury right because because it’s dark outside. I put her by herself so the others aren’t trampling her.

Attachments

• 4C2E426F-4B1C-4B6E-9726-412743E9E6B2.jpeg
    4C2E426F-4B1C-4B6E-9726-412743E9E6B2.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 14
yes as soon as it’s light outside and I get back from dropping my daughters off at school I will. Honestly we have not been having the best luck lately with our silkies. They are very well loved and I’m obsessed with them but my dang husky got our runt of the litter that some one gave us for free. My daughter let our dogs out not realizing she didn’t put up the baby silkie after all the other chickens went in the coop. I was so sad she was our newest, Tiniest and super loving cuddler. My 7 year old was heart broken. I guess I should have kept her inside but she loved being out there with the others and was doing so good.

Attachments

• F61E22B7-DA60-4D74-8D45-93F95652ABAF.jpeg
    F61E22B7-DA60-4D74-8D45-93F95652ABAF.jpeg
    593.1 KB · Views: 7
How did your silkie heal up? I have a silkie cockerel that is dragging his leg like your pullet. I'm sure it's broken, but just don't know where. It's so hard to tell. Only his foot is slightly swollen but he doesn't want me touching anything. 😔

Thankfully after keeping her separate from the rest and just checking on her more frequently she was better within a week. Each day she walked on it more and more. Couldn’t even tell now. She didn’t mind us touching it though. It was as if she had no feeling in it. We thought maybe it became a dead leg from no circulation from being tangled up or something from whatever tried to get her but whatever it ended up being healed itself thank goodness.

How did your silkie heal up? I have a silkie cockerel that is dragging his leg like your pullet. I'm sure it's broken, but just don't know where. It's so hard to tell. Only his foot is slightly swollen but he doesn't want me touching anything. 😔
Can you upload a video to YouTube with a link here? Is there any swelling , redness, or green bruising over the entire leg? Is there any scab or cut on the bottom of the foot.

Thankfully after keeping her separate from the rest and just checking on her more frequently she was better within a week. Each day she walked on it more and more. Couldn’t even tell now. She didn’t mind us touching it though. It was as if she had no feeling in it. We thought maybe it became a dead leg from no circulation from being tangled up or something from whatever tried to get her but whatever it ended up being healed itself thank goodness.
I'm so glad she healed up for you! Hopefully my Bubba will do the same. Thanks for responding!

Back
Top Bottom