Possible broody duck & Incubator questions

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
One of our Welsh Harlequin ducks is possibly trying to go broody. I'm not completely sure if it's the same duck but one of them went broody last year as well. If she is trying to go broody, I have a few questions.
I do want to mention that if she DOES go broody, I can't give her any ducklings. I tried last year with whoever went broody for 2 weeks and they rejected it during the night. Each night I tried, they wouldn't take to it.

Once I confirm if she's broody and decide to let her sit on the eggs, if she quits half way through incubation, can I stick them in the incubator?
If I do stick them in the incubator, will this give it a lower hatch ratio?

I was able to finish hatching out my Mule ducks that way. Momma Mallard was happy with her 11 ducklings and left the nest. Muscovy eggs take longer so I put them in an incubator and hatched out the three remaining eggs. One I had to totally assist because it was a very sticky duckling but after peeling it out of the egg and washing it off she is just fine and will be a year old this year. Good luck with your eggs.

Thank you!
Will that give it a lower hatch ratio?
I had to do that with a Welsh harlequin and just posted a question after some bad outcomes. I had more quitters than I've ever had in years past. but, in years past, I only had to use the incubator for eggs that another duck laid in the nest while broody was out to pee.... or whatever mama ducks do... when I was growing another life form, I had to pee frequently.

My previous Welsh harlequin mama was a FABULOUS mama. And she even took the ones that hatched a week later.
This year one of her daughters went broody. NEVER again! I'm wondering how I can get one specific hen to go broody!

I would watch closely. If she leaves the nest, then put in an incubator. If you had a hen that would be a good mama, I'd put fake eggs in there so she would take over the job of raising the ducklings... but it doesn't sound like that is an option for you.

I'll say a prayer that you have a good outcome.

Back
Top Bottom