Possible broody hen

Mammasloth

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2022
I have a hen I'm not sure is broody. She started spending more time in her nb and sitting on eggs. I pulled 13 out in total today. But she doesn't get defensive or loud over the egs when I check on them. I was able to pet her and move the eggs from under her without her doing anything. Thoughts on this. And would she eventually be safe to put with chicks you think?

I have a hen I'm not sure is broody. She started spending more time in her nb and sitting on eggs. I pulled 13 out in total today. But she doesn't get defensive or loud over the egs when I check on them. I was able to pet her and move the eggs from under her without her doing anything. Thoughts on this. And would she eventually be safe to put with chicks you think?
Remove her from the nest box and see how she is behaving.

If she stays in the nest box overnight, she is broody. When fostering chicks to a hen, I have had best luck if she has been setting a minimum of 2 weeks. First time moms - perhaps closer to 21 days.

If she stays in the nest box overnight, she is broody. When fostering chicks to a hen, I have had best luck if she has been setting a minimum of 2 weeks. First time moms - perhaps closer to 21 days.
She came out for corn just now but otherwise she's been in since last night. I'd rather if possible try to get her to allow the chicks to huddle under her and such but by winter time they should be big enough to not need her

Back
Top Bottom