Possible broody? Might have to relocate!

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I have never let a broody sit mostly because I had no fertile eggs and wasn’t really set up to accommodate one. I have one 3.5 yo BO hen that usually goes broody twice a year but not yet this year. When she goes broody there’s no question. One minute she’s pecking in the run with the flock, the next she’s growling and screeching at anyone that comes near her in the nest. I’ve been hoping because I think I can accommodate this year.

Ok so I have a 1.5 yo Blue Marans that I think is going broody. She sat on her egg for a long time one day so I left her (and a couple other) eggs alone. Later I saw she had left so I picked them up into my pocket. About 5 minutes later while I was tidying up the coop she came back and was peering into the nests making noise. I got the feeling she was upset looking for her eggs. The next day she was sitting so I left the eggs. When she finally left I decided to leave the 4 eggs alone. That night she was sitting on them. In the morning she went out to the run. Through the day others laid their (5) eggs with hers. She sat on them most of the day after they finished but that night she left them and roosted with the flock. We marked these eggs. The next day (yesterday) she spent a lot of time on the eggs but others added whenever she would leave or even would just join her in the nest and lay their egg. I removed them. Last night she sat on them all night. Mid morning I see she’s not there and eggs aren’t warm so I removed the unmarked ones, but here she comes and makes her way to sit on the eggs. She’s still there now. She is confusing me! She’s not like my BO at all.

I guess I’m just trying to convey that it seems like she’s broody because she sits a lot, but then wanders off. Not committed? It’s a very busy nest. Everyone but one hen wants to lay there. I’m considering moving her and the eggs late tomorrow night into a small TSC coop that is in the run with a chicken wire run around it protecting whoever is inside from any other chickens. It’s meant for see-but-don’t-touch introductions. Might she feel more secure there and settle in? Is it a bad idea? Maybe she’s not broody? Are the eggs starting to incubate or does she have to be more settled?🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

She doesn't sound completely committed though thinking about sitting.
It isn't a bad idea to put her in her own quarters with eggs in a comfortable nest. The worst that can happen is that she gives up.

She doesn't sound completely committed though thinking about sitting.
It isn't a bad idea to put her in her own quarters with eggs in a comfortable nest. The worst that can happen is that she gives up.
That sounds like a good plan. I’m concerned that the eggs would have started developing already since this has been since Saturday. If she doesn’t settle I guess I’ll need to toss them?

Hens can be off the nest alot and still have great hatches. I had one hen that was practically never on the nest in the afternoon when I fed them all but was on the nest every night she hatched out every egg. Im guessing morning and during the day she was setting

Early in the incubation process, there can be interruptions without negatively affecting the hatch.
This informative read should make you feel better.
https://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

e

Hens can be off the nest alot and still have great hatches. I had one hen that was practically never on the nest in the afternoon when I fed them all but was on the nest every night she hatched out every egg. Im guessing morning and during the day she was setting
Thank you both! Ok the move was easier than I thought. She was sleeping on her eggs. We moved her after dark with a towel over her head until the second before I lowered her into the coop nest onto her eggs which hubby had moved into place. We had used a flashlight to orient the eggs and know where they were before placing her with flashlight off in complete dark. No fussing from her not even a movement once she was inside. I’ve read somewhere I should lock her in without food and water for the first 24 hours. Is this right? The pop door is closed but should I open it in the morning so she can come down the ramp into her private 5x10 run where she can see and be seen? Her run is inside the main run. Her food and water will be in her run.

Depends on your setup. I have a couple broody apartments that are big enough for the nest, food, water and plenty of room for defecation. They appreciate a place to dust bathe.
They don't really care about seeing the rest of the flock and the flock doesn't really care about them. They have a job to do and most of the time they are in a trance.

Depends on your setup. I have a couple broody apartments that are big enough for the nest, food, water and plenty of room for defecation. They appreciate a place to dust bathe.
They don't really care about seeing the rest of the flock and the flock doesn't really care about them. They have a job to do and most of the time they are in a trance.
The “seeing” part is mostly to reintroduce her and introduce new chicks when the hatching is completed.
She came out the pop door as soon as it opened just be for 7am. I checked at 11am. She is out and pacing the fence edge. And eating. I’ll be checking again in a bit. I’m thinking she’s not being broody. I’ll keep her in her area overnight again and see what happens tomorrow. 🤷‍♀️ She was sitting on them last night again so I was hopeful. *sigh*

A broody hen is a formidable foe and when the chicks hatch she will protect them from all comers.
By the time she weans them, they are accepted as members of the flock.
Perhaps it would be good to lock her in with the eggs and a little food and water.
I've never had a he not be able to reintegrate herself and the chicks into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom