Possible Bullying

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
Sorry for the long post! Trying to give all info.
i cannot decide if my Barnevelder is being bullied or sick. I have had chickens for a few years now, so there is no problem with my set (run, coop, feeders, etc). I have 1 Silkie Roo (who has no game whatsoever!!! No fertile eggs here!) 3 full sized hens, 4 bantam hens.
I noticed last week the the Barnevelder wasn’t looking quite right. I have never bonded with her, but I never noticed her behavior being too odd. When I let all the chickens out of the run, for supervised time, she has always kind of done her own thing, alone. Now, when I let her out, she runs across the yard, but starts to cluck for the flock and wants as far away from me as possible (I can only guess because I have been catching her and giving her medicine). She races back in the run and is always with the chickens. I have not observed her being bullied but she acts paranoid, by me, and looks stressed. She scratches for bugs, seeds, etc. but her crop is always empty. I am assuming she isn’t eating the feed.
I have only seen one weird poop from her, all poop on the poop board is normal though. I am treating for worms and coccidiosis, because I have the stuff and I am at a loss. She has 2 sores under her wings, I am treating and are healing nicely. I have never seen my Roo mount her or a couple other hens. They don’t have time for him.
A couple years ago I did take a hen for a necropsy and the vet said it was consistent with Marek’s. Over the summer I have had to put down 2 Silkies, different times. One for, what I believe is Marek’s and the other for a swollen abdomen.
My run is where I can divide it in half, so that is what I have done for now. She is scratching, but I have yet to see her eat real feed, and I put tuna out for her as well.
What is your gut telling you about her?

If it was her being picked on I think you would see feather missing and them chasing her.I'm sure she's running from you because of the treatments. Her not eating is what worries me because that's one thing chickens love to do. A blockage can be anywhere from throat to vent so do you see signs of any sort of blockage? Of course i'm not the one to give advise for a blockage. Seems like if it were Marek's you would pick up on symptoms since you've witnessed it before.

If it was her being picked on I think you would see feather missing and them chasing her.I'm sure she's running from you because of the treatments. Her not eating is what worries me because that's one thing chickens love to do. A blockage can be anywhere from throat to vent so do you see signs of any sort of blockage? Of course i'm not the one to give advise for a blockage. Seems like if it were Marek's you would pick up on symptoms since you've witnessed it before.
I don’t think she has a blockage, that I can tell. I give them hull free patio bird seed or meal worms to get them back in the run. Shake the cup and they start running. She is scratching around for that and forages when out. I do think she is at the bottom of the pecking order, but she never shy’s away from the group.
I have had a hen bullied before and I am not seeing that behavior. I have read excessive or rough mounting will cause sores inside the wings, but I can pretty much guarantee that is not happening either.
She just has me confused
Her crazy behavior of running across the yard is bizarre too, and hiding today! All because I picked her up for the first time the other day.

I don’t think she has a blockage, that I can tell. I give them hull free patio bird seed or meal worms to get them back in the run. Shake the cup and they start running. She is scratching around for that and forages when out. I do think she is at the bottom of the pecking order, but she never shy’s away from the group.
I have had a hen bullied before and I am not seeing that behavior. I have read excessive or rough mounting will cause sores inside the wings, but I can pretty much guarantee that is not happening either.
She just has me confused
Her crazy behavior of running across the yard is bizarre too, and hiding today! All because I picked her up for the first time the other day.
I would defiantly keep her secluded until you can figure out whats going on with her. I would not medicate her unless it's treating what the problem is because I go by the <"If it's not broke , don't fix it" policy

Back
Top Bottom