Possible Chantecler genes?

Rysktal

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Bare with me as I am trying to find some good candidates from my existing flock to be our second rooster. (Haha can't believe I will have a large enough flock to need 2! :oops:)

This 9 week old here comes from a neighbor's farm, my first batch of "mixed breed" chicks. My neighbor has spoken highly of the Chantecler rooster she used to have...and I see this cockerel and wonder, are those his genes?!

He is double the girth of any of his hatch mates and is super chill. The other cockerels run up to him hackles up and he just casually leans forward as if to say "You see how big I am, right?" And they scurry off.

20180822_152532.jpg

20180822_083927.jpg

20180822_084005.jpg

PS. The one and only time he has ever been picked up is in the top photo. I'm a believer in giving my chickens their space. I made my son's day though asking him to model the size of this bird! (& that picture is from a week ago at 8 weeks, Lol! He also already has pointy neck and sale feathers coming in).

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Its possible, but no way to know with 100% certainty. It would be very easy to breed a bird to look like that's with no Chantecler influence.

If you don't mind lot of pages of reading - Tara Higgins in Alberta,Canada has raised and bred Chanticlers for many years. Hers have the proper flat comb, and can take the wild temperature swings. Her thread is called "J'est another day in Pair a Dice," I believe in the "Pictures and stories of our chickens." forum. She always explains a lot of genetic issues.

She also has ducks, geese, swans, a llama, hair sheep, and two gorgeous Australia Cattle dogs (from Australia) Always much to learn from her.

Back
Top Bottom