Possible chick constipated or something else.

reveriereptile

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Northern NY
I checked on my chicks today and noticed one of them didn't seem active. I put it in a seperate box and noticed that it wasn't pooping but was drinking. It is breathing hard with its tail feathers facing downward, keeps falling asleep, and keeps trying to stand on one leg but doesn't want to lay down. I was holding it a while ago above the box a few inches and it had a spurt of energy I wasn't excepting and fell on its back but wasn't hurt. It then pooped a huge pile that was thick. Makes me believe it might be constipated. I gave it a tiny bit of sugar water. Is there anything I can do for it? It was hatched out on the 24th.

No, it doesn't have any meds in the chicken starter. When I checked it today it still is alive but doesn't look to good. I did notice quite a bit of poop though which some of it almost looked like guinea pig pellets cause of how hard and big it looked. When I checked on it the chick pooped and it looked more normal. We think it has about a very slim chance of making it. It isn't eating but we have been making sure it drinks water by dipping its beak. Can't hardly stand up all that long since it loses its balance. The tail feathers aren't facing as far downward as they were.

Keep forcing the fluids. It may be as the chick got weaker it wasn't able to get enough water in for getting jostled around at the waterer. Deyhdration can cause really hard poops, and also can cause lethargy.

I'd dip the beak at least every hour and see if that helps. AviaCharge or a similar electrolyte additive to the water might be a good idea also. Make sure water is at LEAST room temp, and brooder temp is even better - cold water can chill them internally and make matters worse.

You can also take chick starter and add warm water (warm, but not really hot) to make a mash - add enough water to make it somewhat watery, not pasty. If the chick will eat then this will make sure he's getting fluids along with the food to help digestion.

When I have a chick that is failing to thrive, I have used a cardboard box and a desklamp as a temporary portable brooder and kept the chick in with me - usually on the computer desk where I check BYC way too often
roll.png

I hope he pulls through for ya!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. We had it on a computer desk with a lamp on it in the living room and everyone has been dipping its beak all night long about every 15-60 minutes. We decided a while ago to put it down. It was pooping normal but it looked like it was in a lot of pain when it pooped and was breathing very hard. It couldn't even stand up without falling over and looked bad enough that we didn't want to keep it suffering. Yesterday it would get up and get itself water and ate a tiny bit but by evening it wasn't eating and was going down hill. We felt to bad for it and felt it had been suffering enough and thought it would probably die before tomorrow. I'm keeping a close eye on the other chicks and been making sure they are active and all get a drink.

Back
Top Bottom