Possible coccidiosis, can you confirm?

HargroveOutdoors

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
I swear my most recent chicken venture seems cursed.
I lost my whole flock but one to dogs, and the new chicks I picked up this week may have coccidiosis. I want to double check so I have the correct treatment.
I picked up two chicks from a friend and 6 from a hobby farmer, including two Sussex chicks. Earlier today I noticed one of the Sussex’s wings drooping, but otherwise eating and interacting fine. I came to check on them just now and it’s wings are significantly drooping, it can’t Really stand and looks to be near it’s end. I separated it and checked the brooder. I don’t see any fresh stool, but I’ve found some old stool that appears very runny and dark that I’m attributing to the sick chick.

A second chick is starting to droop it’s wings. All the other chicks appear normal and are pooping normally, including the second chick with drooping wings.

I don’t have medicine on hand and can’t get any until morning. The rate at which the little Sussex went down concerns me for the second chick. Is there anything I can do for them tonight? Likely coccidiosis? As soon as this posts I’m cleaning and scrubbing the brooder and everything in it. Pictures of poop attached.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 2375DF66-60EB-4CED-BD0E-7971024F04D0.jpeg
    2375DF66-60EB-4CED-BD0E-7971024F04D0.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 48
  • A7EC06D5-7644-42E4-AF98-9D65CB743BB3.jpeg
    A7EC06D5-7644-42E4-AF98-9D65CB743BB3.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
How old are the chicks?
Can you post some photos of them and how they are housed?

Hard to tell by a photo- looks possibly like Cecal poop.

Going by behavior is always a good idea. Droopy wings, lethargy, puffed up appearance, runny poop with mucous or blood are generally indication of Coccidiosis.

Are the chicks overheating? Possibly stress from moving and being introduced to newbies.

Treating for Coccidiosis won't hurt them. Corid can be found in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

In the meantime - see if you can get the chick that is in bad shape hydrated. I would give some electrolytes or sugar water. If you have Buttermilk, then give her a little of that to help sooth the intestines.

Thanks for the reply. I lost the chick within minutes of posting. Chicks are between 5 days and 10-14 days. They were on kiln dried pine shavings but I just finished sterilizing and switched to news paper so I can check the poop.
I am using a heat lamp, so over heating is possible, but they have ample room to get away from the light as needed.

The one that died was small and not very active from the start. I’ve attached a picture of the one I’m currently worried about.

Thank you for the suggestions!

How old are the chicks?
Can you post some photos of them and how they are housed?

Hard to tell by a photo- looks possibly like Cecal poop.

Going by behavior is always a good idea. Droopy wings, lethargy, puffed up appearance, runny poop with mucous or blood are generally indication of Coccidiosis.

Are the chicks overheating? Possibly stress from moving and being introduced to newbies.

Treating for Coccidiosis won't hurt them. Corid can be found in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

In the meantime - see if you can get the chick that is in bad shape hydrated. I would give some electrolytes or sugar water. If you have Buttermilk, then give her a little of that to help sooth the intestines.

Attachments

• 331883CA-B90B-492B-B0AD-DE53A1C9CFCA.jpeg
    331883CA-B90B-492B-B0AD-DE53A1C9CFCA.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 21
That would be more like a 5 day old? Likely too young for Coccidiosis, but it won't hurt to treat with Corid if you can get it.

I would see that the chick is not overheating - do you know the temp in the brooder on the warm and cool sides?
See if it will drink if it's beak is dipped or you hold a shallow cup up to it's beak.

You have 2 different age groups that may have different heat requirements - so be mindful of that so they can really spread out if needed.

Newspaper works o.k. but it gets wet so quickly. I use puppy pads for about the first week - they are absorbent and make for easy cleanup as well. If that's doable when you go to the store, then it may be something you want to try.

Hot side is 94, cool side is 75. I went ahead and got Corid and treated this morning. None of the other chicks are drooping so far, but the second chick was looking worse this morning. It’s still active drinking and eating, so I’m hopeful the treatment will help!

That would be more like a 5 day old? Likely too young for Coccidiosis, but it won't hurt to treat with Corid if you can get it.

I would see that the chick is not overheating - do you know the temp in the brooder on the warm and cool sides?
See if it will drink if it's beak is dipped or you hold a shallow cup up to it's beak.

You have 2 different age groups that may have different heat requirements - so be mindful of that so they can really spread out if needed.

Newspaper works o.k. but it gets wet so quickly. I use puppy pads for about the first week - they are absorbent and make for easy cleanup as well. If that's doable when you go to the store, then it may be something you want to try.

Update to the situation. Chicks have been receiving Corid treatment. The second ill looking chick recovered. Temps are currently 91 and 72. No sick looking, lethargic, or ill chicks. Checked this morning to find one of the Marans (~2 weeks old) dead. No apparent cause at this time. It seemed fine last night.

Update to the situation. Chicks have been receiving Corid treatment. The second ill looking chick recovered. Temps are currently 91 and 72. No sick looking, lethargic, or ill chicks. Checked this morning to find one of the Marans (~2 weeks old) dead. No apparent cause at this time. It seemed fine last night.
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that :hugs

Sadly some chicks just up and die. I have not had it happen often but it can be shocking to find one gone so suddenly.

At 2 weeks old, I would raise the lamp up a little more. They are growing so ensure they have plenty of space. By week 2 I like for mine to be outside, but it all depends on how you are setup.

I’ve just determined I won’t be buying from the farm I got them from again. I’ve raised several batches on chicks and have never had this much trouble.
I’ve got some slightly younger chicks in the same brooder, so I’m keeping it a touch on the warmer side for them.
I tend to put mine outside around 4-5 weeks. They are just a bit small at this stage for the setup I have. It’s a smaller enclosed coop and run that is surrounded by a 6ft chain link fence.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that :hugs

Sadly some chicks just up and die. I have not had it happen often but it can be shocking to find one gone so suddenly.

At 2 weeks old, I would raise the lamp up a little more. They are growing so ensure they have plenty of space. By week 2 I like for mine to be outside, but it all depends on how you are setup.

I’ve just determined I won’t be buying from the farm I got them from again. I’ve raised several batches on chicks and have never had this much trouble.
I’ve got some slightly younger chicks in the same brooder, so I’m keeping it a touch on the warmer side for them.
I tend to put mine outside around 4-5 weeks. They are just a bit small at this stage for the setup I have. It’s a smaller enclosed coop and run that is surrounded by a 6ft chain link fence.
I'm sorry you've had this trouble. Very possible that something is genetically wrong with the chicks. I agree with you - source of chicks can make all the difference in the world.

Back
Top Bottom