Possible coccidiosis? poo pic included

geekgurl

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Dallas, TX
1) What type of bird , age and weight. I have four 9-week-old pullets and I'm not sure who is leaving the bloody poo. I suspect it is either the Ameraucana or the olive egger. I have an olive egger, ameraucana, and 2 marans
2) What is the behavior, exactly. The behavior seems fine...minor fluffy feathers, but they eat and drink and take dust bathes. The bloody poo on the poo board is causing my concern.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?Sunday morning I found bloody poo on the poo board. Monday I found it again and in the run and this morning, it was on the board again.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Only symptom I can see is the bloody poo.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. none
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I am new to chickens. I got these 4 on 5/6/11.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating yogurt, raw corn on cob, MFM start-n-grow crumbles, and I did see one get ahold of an earthworm they found in a bucket of shredded leaves I put in there for them to scratch around in.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Bloody. I've seen the normal shedding of the intestine in the poo, but this other poo is just not right looking. And I haven't seen any worms. I don't care to look at poo, but I'm not afraid to either. I dug around in it and there doesn't seem to be worms.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I picked up some Sulmet solution on Sunday (say that 5 times fast!) and started treating all the birds Monday morning. 1 tablespoon in a half gallon of water in the poultry waterer. All 4 just about finished the entire thing in one day. I gave the Sulmet again in the water today. I have located Corid at a feed store that I'll pick up later as I understand it is easier on the gastrointestinal tract.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I intend to finish treatment with the Corid.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. This is from Sunday.
54368_chickpoo.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They have sand in the run and pine shavings in the coop. I dust the floor with food grade DE but not excessively.

Am I dosing correctly? 1 tablespoon in a half gallon of water for all 4 birds? When I get the corid, I'll change that dosage. I know I've seen the dosage around here. And that poo ain't right, right? Or just normal intestinal lining. It stains the board.
Thanks for the help
smile.png

Cheers,
Melissa

That is cocci, and what you want to get is Corid...It's a powder for Bovine and it costs around $19.99. You put that in their drinking water right away. HURRY!

If you catch it early, then all will be well. There is an 800 number on the corid, and you will get to speak to a vet who will give you the doseage....I believe it is 2 tsp per gallon of water, but I'm a little foggy on that.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

Oh, one more thing......Cocci LOVES the wet, warm environment, so keep your chicks dry and clean and that will also help with their recovery.

Thanks, Chicmom. They've been on Sulmet since yesterday, but I'm still seeing the blood on the poop board. As I said, I'm getting Corid today and will continue with that. Just wanted confirmation that what I'm seeing is actually cocci since I'm a newbie and I wasn't just freaking out on some crazy lookin' poo.
big_smile.png

No bloody poo on the poo board this morning! Plus, they are now on Corid. Even though they were on sulmet for 2 days,should I do a full 5 days corid?
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom