Possible cockerels

homesteading101

Chirping
Jun 16, 2023
Northern Michigan
Alright I need your wisdom once again they're about 5-6 weeks old. Silver laced wyandotte, ameracaunas, 1 barred rock.

I know it's fairly early seen a bit of red, I keep the roosters, just like to have every flock balanced.

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_121904.jpg
    IMG_20230829_121904.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230829_121017.jpg
    IMG_20230829_121017.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230829_121833.jpg
    IMG_20230829_121833.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230829_120937.jpg
    IMG_20230829_120937.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 16
All look like pullets right now. I’d keep an eye on the barred rock and the Wyandotte, as those combs are pink. Post again in a couple weeks if you’re still unsure.

Alright I need your wisdom once again they're about 5-6 weeks old. Silver laced wyandotte, ameracaunas, 1 barred rock.

I know it's fairly early seen a bit of red, I keep the roosters, just like to have every flock balanced.
The Barred Rock in the first photo is probably male. I am mostly saying that because of how much white is in the barring. With Barred Rocks, the males are lighter than the females. That is causd by how the barring gene works-- it's on the Z sex chromosome, so males have two copies of the gene (more white) and females have one copy (less white.)

For the chick in the second photo, the comb is quite big and pink, so I think it is probably a male.

For both of those, I would watch them grow a bit more, and wait for the gender to be more obvious, before making any permanent decisions.

For the third and fourth chicks, I do not have any gender guesses at this time. They could be pullets, but they could just as easily be males that are maturing a bit more slowly than the first ones.

I assume the "Silver Laced Wyandotte" is the second chick? That bird is not a GOOD Silver Laced Wyandotte, and may not be Silver Laced or a Wyandotte at all.

Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but that chick has a single comb. Yes, it is possible to get a single comb chick from rose comb Wyandotte parents, but such a chick is not showing the correct traits for the breed.

The feathering does not look Silver Laced to me, either. Silver Laced means the feathers have a black edge (the "lace") with a silver (white) middle. Many of the feathers are showing a light edge on dark feathers, which is backward. Chicks sometimes do grow odd-looking feathers when they are young, so I am not sure whether it will get the right feathers later or not.

Wyandottes are supposed to have yellow feet. That chick appears to have white feet.

Considering all those points, I am rather doubtful about the chick actually being what you think it is.

The Barred Rock in the first photo is probably male. I am mostly saying that because of how much white is in the barring. With Barred Rocks, the males are lighter than the females. That is causd by how the barring gene works-- it's on the Z sex chromosome, so males have two copies of the gene (more white) and females have one copy (less white.)

For the chick in the second photo, the comb is quite big and pink, so I think it is probably a male.

For both of those, I would watch them grow a bit more, and wait for the gender to be more obvious, before making any permanent decisions.

For the third and fourth chicks, I do not have any gender guesses at this time. They could be pullets, but they could just as easily be males that are maturing a bit more slowly than the first ones.

I assume the "Silver Laced Wyandotte" is the second chick? That bird is not a GOOD Silver Laced Wyandotte, and may not be Silver Laced or a Wyandotte at all.

Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but that chick has a single comb. Yes, it is possible to get a single comb chick from rose comb Wyandotte parents, but such a chick is not showing the correct traits for the breed.

The feathering does not look Silver Laced to me, either. Silver Laced means the feathers have a black edge (the "lace") with a silver (white) middle. Many of the feathers are showing a light edge on dark feathers, which is backward. Chicks sometimes do grow odd-looking feathers when they are young, so I am not sure whether it will get the right feathers later or not.

Wyandottes are supposed to have yellow feet. That chick appears to have white feet.

Considering all those points, I am rather doubtful about the chick actually being what you think it is.
I write the title of the chicks that were given to me, I'm not claiming myself that's what they are. There's a reason I uploaded the birds to this website

I write the title of the chicks that were given to me, I'm not claiming myself that's what they are. There's a reason I uploaded the birds to this website
That is why I listed the points that seem wrong to me-- so you or anyone else can check them, instead of just taking the word of some stranger on the internet (me).

The comb type and leg color can be looked up in any description of the Wyandotte breed (hatchery websites are often good.) Looking up comb type genetics can confirm how the inheritance works. The coloring on the feathers can be compared with photos of Silver Laced Wyandottes.

It is fairly common for chick breeds to be mis-identified or mis-labeled when they are young, partly because so many kinds of chicks look alike. So double-checking as they grow is a good idea in any case.

Yes obviously the logical thing is to Google said material also taking experienced "random" peoples input and cross referencing
I can't tell if you're joking or serious-- I have a poor sense of tone on the internet.

But I do know it is hard to tell which things on the internet are right, and which are wrong, if you don't already know most of the information. (And of course if you already know it, you don't need to look it up.) So I try to give enough information that someone who cares can more easily go looking for more, and someone who is not interested can just ignore most of what I say :)

Back
Top Bottom