Possible colors?

Well ... so far 22 hatched, 3 are pipping and only 8 are left out of 33 eggs. They started yesterday. I lost one who appeared to be blind ... wouldn't open it's eyes and appeared to have Torticollis. It passed this afternoon. I was not expecting such a successful hatch rate!
View attachment 2927191
View attachment 2927185
Oh heck yeah that is awesome!! Looks like a nice variety of colours too!

This is objectively about welfare; the only one who has made this 'personal' is you and I'll leave it at that.
Your "objectively" comments are directed at me due to one photo you saw, which had nothing to do with the question asked. Your opinion on their welfare is irrelevant since you know nothing about their care without inquiring. But thanks anyway.

Your "objectively" comments are directed at me due to one photo you saw, which had nothing to do with the question asked. Your opinion on their welfare is irrelevant since you know nothing about their care without inquiring. But thanks anyway.
I don’t know nothing if there’s photograpid evidence in front of me and I clearly asked if they’re like that all the time rather than just assuming. Keep your attitude and stop making this about you,

These are finch flight cages and I put plastic netting on the bottom because rails are harsh on the quail's feet. They are not bars, they are a plastic coated surface, more comfortable than the metal rail bars in the cages. Most often there is a substrate on them such as straw or wood shavings.
Plastic coated metal is still metal, the substrate bare;y covers the mesh and it’s too easy for their toes to get stuck in and will still create pressure points on their feet. Obviously it’s not going to make them drop dead but it isn’t ideal in my opinion. I know lots of people do this, especially commercial breeders, but just because we can doesn’t mean we should and just because people have been doing things a certain way for decades doesn’t mean it’s right. You do you and I’ll just try to pretend you don’t exist.

Plastic coated metal is still metal, the substrate bare;y covers the mesh and it’s too easy for their toes to get stuck in and will still create pressure points on their feet. Obviously it’s not going to make them drop dead but it isn’t ideal in my opinion. I know lots of people do this, especially commercial breeders, but just because we can doesn’t mean we should and just because people have been doing things a certain way for decades doesn’t mean it’s right. You do you and I’ll just try to pretend you don’t exist.
Good ... your holier than thou attitude is not wanted anyway.

Final count from 34 eggs is 29 hatched mortality 1. I will leave them in the incubator for another day or two and let them get strong. That usually works for me. 101_1514.JPG

Last edited:
The chicklets are a week old now. Starting to get jumpy. I put off putting them in the brooder box for a few days as we had seriously bad wind and thunderstorms. December in Wisconsin! Never have I seen weather like this before. Many areas lost power for days and some areas still are out. It was easier to keep them warm in the incubator, also I have one incubator that plugs into the cigarette lighter on my trailblazer so it was more convenient to keep them in it. With the power out they wouldn't have had their heat lamp on if they were in the brooder box. But all is well now. Back to our normal 16° and snow.
101_1571.JPG
101_1572.JPG

Back
Top Bottom