Possible Coryza in new hen - not sure

Motherof13Hens

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
We added to our flock a week ago, a rooster and a hen. A few days ago I noticed that the hen has a nasty eye; eye is closed, swollen around the eye and if lightly squeezed liquid comes out of it. We contacted the person we bought them from, seems she gets birds from auction and has raised her own as well for years, a few of her chickens are experiencing the same thing. She is the one that said she thinks it is coryza. We separated the hen and the lady is supposed to bring us medication. We are watching the other chickens to see if anyone else has eye symptoms.

I have read several threads on hear about eye disease... Coryza - the bird will always be a carrier and should be killed. Does this need done?

Do I need to treat the coops or run? There are two separate coops but side by side. The hen and rooster are in a small cooper with one other hen. They are in close proximity to the other 11 hens we have.

Any tips or suggestions would be great. Should I push the stuff out of her eye or leave it alone. Is there something that Tractor Supply carries and I can apply it to the affected eye?

Took the polish crested hen to the vet on Tuesday night. Vet said she thought she wouldn't make it thru the next 24 hours. I'M THRILLED TO SAY THAT OUR HEN IS STILL WITH US. Hen was very lethargic, not eating or drinking. Vet wasn't sure what infection of the eye she has. Gave me medicine to use for 5 days. That night I started force feeding her crumble and giving her water and protein liquid with a syringe 3 times a day. (I work during the day) We also got her to eat applesauce. She is slowly getting better. She is only walking around a bit and we haven't saw her eat/drink on her own yet. I'm hoping in the next 2 weeks she gets well enough to return her to the coop with the two other bantams.

I learned a valuable lesson. Always quarantine your chickens for a month. I also learned that I can nurse a sick animal. We just started raising chickens in May. We didn't learn a lot in the start of this journey and this is how we had a pitfall.

If anyone else has any tips please share.

Back
Top Bottom