Possible cross breed?? What did I buy??

Wild_Flower

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
This little one was sold to me as a partridge Silkie. It has black skin, what appears to be a single comb, five toes on one foot and feathered legs. I’m still new to Silkies but I know enough that I can tell something is off. Is she just poor quality or can anybody tell if she’s mixed with something else? She also started developing cross beak 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• 24F368EC-8098-4B26-904E-1D822286C330.jpeg
    24F368EC-8098-4B26-904E-1D822286C330.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 15
  • 000364AC-FD94-44D7-A92F-EB0593F37ED8.jpeg
    000364AC-FD94-44D7-A92F-EB0593F37ED8.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1543326F-197E-40EF-BC28-031D9EF72B21.png
    1543326F-197E-40EF-BC28-031D9EF72B21.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • C897B748-33A9-42CB-93A1-E8773E2F69D8.jpeg
    C897B748-33A9-42CB-93A1-E8773E2F69D8.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 13
I'm not super familiar with silkies, but I've owned them. The pure breeds in my experience usually don't have those kinds of wing feathers, so I'm guessing it's mixed. I really just wanted to tell you that the chick is super cute!!:love

It depends on where the chick came from. If it was from a backyard breeder, then I would guess it was probably a mix. If it was from a hatchery or TSC, then I would guess that it is just poor quality. Shame about the cross beak, but hopefully it won't be a bad case and the chick will be able to fend for itself.

Crossbeak, yes. Not sure what else you're seeing. Looks like mine did at a few days old, apart from
Crossbeak, yes. Not sure what else you're seeing. Looks like mine did at a few days old, apart from the comb, but hatchery quality somwtimws has that
What’s throwing me off is how tall she appears to be, my other silkies weren’t tall like that at this age. Also the feathers on her wings, I can’t figure out the feather type but it’s definitely different. Her face doesn’t look “Silkie” to me but that may be because she’s not bearded? At least it looks like she’s non-bearded to me but I’m just going off of my other Silkies when they were that age. Side note: I’m really bummed that she’s not bearded because I specifically asked and I was assured they would be bearded with “huge poofs” 😔

It depends on where the chick came from. If it was from a backyard breeder, then I would guess it was probably a mix. If it was from a hatchery or TSC, then I would guess that it is just poor quality. Shame about the cross beak, but hopefully it won't be a bad case and the chick will be able to fend for itself.
They were from a backyard breeder. From my understanding, all breeds were kept separate from each other but now after all the issues I’ve had with the two chicks I purchased, I don’t even know what to believe now. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm not super familiar with silkies, but I've owned them. The pure breeds in my experience usually don't have those kinds of wing feathers, so I'm guessing it's mixed. I really just wanted to tell you that the chick is super cute!!:love
She is pretty cute huh? I feel ridiculous and like I’m being a bit snobbish to be complaining about these faults but I paid for a quality bird and I obviously did not get that 😔

Can you request some form of refund or partial refund if you want to keep the chick since they are not as described? Or was it sold as is?

Can you request some form of refund or partial refund if you want to keep the chick since they are not as described? Or was it sold as is?
There was no discussion of return policy/refunds so I’m not sure. I’ve been holding off on contacting the breeder because I’m trying to choose my words as carefully as possible so I don’t offend them or hurt their feelings. I know that sounds so silly. I used to be so assertive and could speak up for myself but I struggle with it so much now. I just don’t know what to say to them so I’m just sitting here stewing 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️Lol

She is pretty cute huh? I feel ridiculous and like I’m being a bit snobbish to be complaining about these faults but I paid for a quality bird and I obviously did not get that 😔
It happens to the best of us. When I was first starting with buying from non-hatcheries, I purchased 2-4 dozen Araucana eggs to hatch for quite the price. Unfortunately, only one hatched (probably my fault because I was a beginner), and I'm pretty sure she's an Ameracauna anyway.😂 At least she's a good hen!

Back
Top Bottom