Possible cross breed?? What did I buy??

She is pretty cute huh? I feel ridiculous and like I’m being a bit snobbish to be complaining about these faults but I paid for a quality bird and I obviously did not get that 😔
I totally understand the frustration. Not cool that someone would lie about their chicken's quality. On the bright side, my messed-up chickens tend to be the nicest.🤷‍♀️

That is not a purebred silkie. No crest and very light feathering on the legs. Both are present as soon as they hatch. So the breeder knew it wasn’t purebred when they sold it to you. Then a defect on top of it. You are fully entitled to a refund. I wouldn’t worry about offending them. It is probably in your best interest to resolve this issue. Then not have any further dealings with them.

5 toes on one foot, 4 on another one means silkie cross. btw, silkies have walnut combs although I have learned on byc that chinese silkies can have single combs as well.

That is not a purebred silkie. No crest and very light feathering on the legs. Both are present as soon as they hatch. So the breeder knew it wasn’t purebred when they sold it to you. Then a defect on top of it. You are fully entitled to a refund. I wouldn’t worry about offending them. It is probably in your best interest to resolve this issue. Then not have any further dealings with them.
It may just have a small crest. I have two that have crests now that as chicks did not look like they did

From what y’all can tell, does it look like he/she will be bearded? I don’t see any sign of a beard but I am by no means an expert 🤷🏻‍♀️

5 toes on one foot, 4 on another one means silkie cross. btw, silkies have walnut combs although I have learned on byc that chinese silkies can have single combs as well.
I was thinking she is possibly a Silkie cross but what she’s crossed with, I haven’t a clue! I spoke with the breeder who said it’s not possible that she could have been crossed with any other breed and perhaps she mixed up eggs and accidentally gave me a red Cochin egg. This chick has black skin though…
They also claimed not to see any faults or differences from this chick and any other Silkie aside from it having a single comb. I feel so frustrated at the moment.

I was thinking she is possibly a Silkie cross but what she’s crossed with, I haven’t a clue! I spoke with the breeder who said it’s not possible that she could have been crossed with any other breed and perhaps she mixed up eggs and accidentally gave me a red Cochin egg. This chick has black skin though…
They also claimed not to see any faults or differences from this chick and any other Silkie aside from it having a single comb. I feel so frustrated at the moment.

maybe they don't have pure silkies. there is no pure breed with 5 and 4 toes. ask them how they explain that.

cochin has heavily feathered feet and 4 toes.

That is not a Cochin. If it was, it would have heavily feathered legs and feet. Only four toes and yellow legs. It is also not red. By the down and feather color. It looks to be a partridge crossed with buff. Bearded breeds like crested breeds. Will have little down beards from day one. With your chick not showing much tail growth. It could possibly be a silkie/cochin cross.

Back
Top Bottom